Jump to content

Some fossils/rocks that I can't recognize


BunnnyZPC

Recommended Posts

BunnnyZPC

Hey guys,

I‘ve dug out some ’fossils‘ that I can't say for sure on a hill of Hubei Province,China. 

According to the local geological document,there’re exposed strata of middle Devonian and lower Permian around this area.

There are some rocks with special patterns on it, which looks like trilobite and shellfish.

On another rock, I can see a patch of dots, just like a tentacle of starfish.

On this hillside, I also found some strange rocks in the shape of ’flat cylinder‘, with irregular patterns on them. I think it may be the remains of some kind of ancient creature.

But I have  absolutely no idea about what are them.

 

I'm new in the field of fossil. And his is the first time I sign up The Fossil Forum, so I believe everyone here could teach me a lot. Thank you so much!

 

IMG_20210224_113827.thumb.jpg.7d94f98cc09f5c1af6cb08d8a2229130.jpg

IMG_20210223_143123.jpg

IMG_20210224_114701.jpg

IMG_20210224_115405.jpg

IMG_20210224_115645.jpg

IMG_20210224_115139.jpg

IMG_20210223_144818.jpg

IMG_20210224_120044.jpg

IMG_20210224_120900.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
yardrockpaleo

Picture #7 looks really interesting! Can I get some more pics for that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob Saunders

Image five please see the similar Devonian Brachiopod shell on mine. West Michigan USA. Your image #6 raised texture also.  

20210224_154218.jpg

20210224_153943_HDR.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BunnnyZPC said:

 

On another rock, I can see a patch of dots, just like a tentacle of starfish.

 

 

IMG_20210224_115139.jpg

 

 

 

A sense of scale would assist for identification. If this specimen was found in Devonian deposits, it gives me the impression that it might be placoderm armour. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Crusty_Crab
6 hours ago, BunnnyZPC said:

Hey guys,

I‘ve dug out some ’fossils‘ that I can't say for sure on a hill of Hubei Province,China. 

According to the local geological document,there’re exposed strata of middle Devonian and lower Permian around this area.

There are some rocks with special patterns on it, which looks like trilobite and shellfish.

On another rock, I can see a patch of dots, just like a tentacle of starfish.

On this hillside, I also found some strange rocks in the shape of ’flat cylinder‘, with irregular patterns on them. I think it may be the remains of some kind of ancient creature.

But I have  absolutely no idea about what are them.

 

I'm new in the field of fossil. And his is the first time I sign up The Fossil Forum, so I believe everyone here could teach me a lot. Thank you so much!

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_20210224_115139.jpg

 

 

 

 

Regarding the image above, you can see that it extends to the top right as well and continues on into the matrix in an amorphous shape. Might it be stromatoporids, which were important reef builders during the Devonian? The raised mounds could be mamelons. 

  • I Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Crusty_Crab said:

 

Regarding the image above, you can see that it extends to the top right as well and continues on into the matrix in an amorphous shape. Might it be stromatoporids, which were important reef builders during the Devonian? The raised mounds could be mamelons. 

Absolutely! The regularity of the patterning makes a good case for stromatoporoids, for sure! We definitely need to get some measurements here to determine if these are mamelons or the raised bumps of a placo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Crusty_Crab
15 minutes ago, Kane said:

Absolutely! The regularity of the patterning makes a good case for stromatoporoids, for sure! We definitely need to get some measurements here to determine if these are mamelons or the raised bumps of a placo. 

 

Agreed, a sense of scale is vitally important. 

 

@BunnnyZPC For the future, if you could include a metric ruler in each picture, that would help a lot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
BunnnyZPC
3 hours ago, Kane said:

Absolutely! The regularity of the patterning makes a good case for stromatoporoids, for sure! We definitely need to get some measurements here to determine if these are mamelons or the raised bumps of a placo. 

2 hours ago, Crusty_Crab said:

 

Agreed, a sense of scale is vitally important. 

 

@BunnnyZPC For the future, if you could include a metric ruler in each picture, that would help a lot.

 

Really thank you for that advice.And this time I rephotograph it with a ruler beside.

IMG_20210226_084210.jpg

IMG_20210226_084911.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm. It seems (for me) to split either way between placoderm and stromatoporoid. To confirm or rule out the former, let me tag one of our experts: @jdp

Link to post
Share on other sites
BunnnyZPC
8 hours ago, yardrockpaleo said:

Picture #7 looks really interesting! Can I get some more pics for that?

 

Sorry to say that I've got only 1 pic of that.But there're many similar structures around this area,maybe you can have a look.

IMG_20210223_143418.jpg

IMG_20210223_143554.jpg

IMG_20210223_143601.jpg

IMG_20210223_144849.jpg

IMG_20210223_145734.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

To my eye, these seem to be burrows (ichnofossils). Were these the Devonian materials?

Link to post
Share on other sites
BunnnyZPC
2 minutes ago, Kane said:

To my eye, these seem to be burrows (ichnofossils). Were these the Devonian materials?

 

yes.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the one specimen for a placoderm plate.

  • Thank You 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...