July 2021 - Finds of the Month Entries

digit

3 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

Done :) 

Thanks, Will.  :fistbump:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

On 7/16/2021 at 11:49 PM, connorp said:

Lovely :wub:  If you don't mind me asking, what kind of chemical prep was used?

It was prepped with potassium hydroxide. It works well on thin layers of claystone. But it is nasty stuff, you have to be very careful using this. Always use gloves and safety goggles.

Edited by Manticocerasman
  • I found this Informative 1

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

4 hours ago, fossilcrazee said:

@will stevenson I want to go hunting on the Isle of Wight with you!  Many many trips when I lived in London - nothing ever so nice!!!!

Wish i could visit there more often as well! it was amazing, i will be writing a report sometime soon on what i did, it will be in a few weeks though as i am away, i had about 5 other finds i wanted to enter!, and there are some that will be getting prepped that i can enter next month :) i was quite lucky though, if you are ever in the area, message me and ill see if we can arrange something ;) i would always love to return

• Enjoyed 1

11 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

and there are some that will be getting prepped that i can enter next month :)

Be sure you take pre-prep photos.  ;)

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

After hundreds and hundreds of hours at my site here in North Texas, I FINALLY  found a Protohadros tooth. I’ve found over a dozen dinosaur bones, but it’s taken forever to finally find what has turned out to be that ever elusive tooth. And it’s a jaw dropper at that. 

Protohadros byrdi tooth

Found 7/22/21 in the Woodbine formation of Denton, TX

E1723D1B-750B-423F-88A8-67D9C5F0B09F.png

262E9F4B-A493-4C79-B81F-C7D2B9F25721.jpeg

0290626E-63EC-415C-9727-15DFA3DC7860.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 18

2 hours ago, Captcrunch227 said:

After hundreds and hundreds of hours at my site here in North Texas, I FINALLY  found a Protohadros tooth. I’ve found over a dozen dinosaur bones, but it’s taken forever to finally find what has turned out to be that ever elusive tooth. And it’s a jaw dropper at that. 

Protohadros byrdi tooth

Found 7/22/21 in the Woodbine formation of Denton, TX

Holy Hadrosaur that's amazing. The enamel is in beautiful shape! 

• I Agree 2

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

11 hours ago, digit said:

Persistence pays off (sometimes). ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Haha, ain’t that the truth! It’s better to be lucky than good and I finally had some Lady Luck on my side for a change

10 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

Holy Hadrosaur that's amazing. The enamel is in beautiful shape! 

Thank you! It’s literally been my top want since day 1. I love teeth, and for it to be in this amazing of shape is just incredible. I couldn’t have drawn it up any better 

On 7/22/2021 at 8:50 PM, Captcrunch227 said:

Awesome find!

IPFOTM entry

• Date of Discovery  (month, day, year): April 8, 2021; preparation in the month of July
• Scientific and/or Common Name: Rielaspis elegantula
• Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Mid Silurian, Thornloe Fm
State, Province, or Region Found: Northern Ontario

This is a plate of uncommon encrinurids (up to 11 individuals in varying states of completeness). Although found in April, I entrusted this to our own prep-master @Malcolmt who started work on it last week, revealing much more than I anticipated. The trilobites appear in various orientations, including some in ventral position showing the hypostome. 

The significance of the piece is not just the rather aesthetic marvel of an assemblage filled with encrinurids (themselves fairly rare). It is thought that the fauna at this location is similar to that of Anticosti Island (which is now off-limits to collecting). 

The plate also contains a small crinoid and a number of ostracods.

A photo of the find in its original state:

IMG_9139.jpeg

A photo of the current, prepared result:

IMG_9482.jpeg

I am told there is still a bit more preparation to do, but I won't have reliable internet access for the next while. If I do, I can replace the prepared image with the most recent one.

• Enjoyed 11

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I found a little floating crinoid. Well, two actually! They are fairly rare in the Cretaceous Period. 

• Date of Discovery - July 24 2021

• Scientific and/or Common Name : Free Floating Crinoid (Cormatulid) Solanocrinites sp.

• Geologic Age or Geologic Formation : Cretaceous Period - Glen Rose Formation 

• State, Province, or Region Found - Texas USA

Size: 1/2 inch   13 mm

Side View: 

150531740_Bandera(22).thumb.JPG.21b34e122b6a4548e5ea67b4ed61a755.JPG

Top View:

745440117_Bandera(20).thumb.JPG.95f45c3d8a0d8cb492d0e64c2850fd1e.JPG

Bottom View: 

2020040309_Bandera(23).thumb.JPG.8dac3d26069bd966b88aa00bf920c975.JPG

1357891407_Bandera(24).thumb.JPG.5086cfe187e119fef5ac3b4e61b5770f.JPG

They look like bottle caps..... 

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 6

2 hours ago, Kane said:

IPFOTM entry

• Date of Discovery  (month, day, year): April 8, 2021; preparation in the month of July
• Scientific and/or Common Name: Rielaspis sp. cf. elegantulus
• Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Mid Silurian, Thornloe Fm
State, Province, or Region Found: Northern Ontario

These are not 'cf'

"With the exception of Rielaspis elegantula, which also occurs in the Thornloe Formation

(late Llandovery) of Ontario, none of these species is known to occur outside Anticosti Island."

Chatterton, B.D.E., Ludvigsen, R. 2004

Early Silurian Trilobites of Anticosti Island, Québec, Canada.

Palaeontographica Canadiana, 22:1-264

Congrats on finding this museum quality association plate! happy0144.gif

• Thank You 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

@piranha Corrections made with my thanks! I was operating under some misinformation, and really ought to have stuck with the Chatterton & Ludvigsen reference. :DOH:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I've spent a lot of time running around the badlands and scouring google earth this summer, and finally got the specimen I've been looking for. Before today, the longest tooth I've personally found was around 2.5 inches.

Some of the teeth around here are so blue that they almost appear to glow in the sediment. When you see the colour out of the corner of you eye, you immediately know what it is. The first piece I found was the tip, and even that was larger than any other tooth in my collection. At least a minute was spent gawking at its appearance before realizing that there was more to be found. I gathered as many additional pieces as I could from from about 8 feet below where the tip was. It was found in the first hour of designated hunting time, so I was pretty much ineffective at searching for the rest of the day because I was just thinking about the tooth in my backpack the entire time. I ended up cutting the trip short because it had taken over my mind like gollum with the ring of power.

After assembly, the tooth is 4 inches and a beauty. I haven't done anything except glue the pieces together due to fear of doing something irreversible. I've noticed that the stone polishing wax that many people use for teeth tends to remove the blue markings that are signature to the teeth found in this area.

•Date of Discovery: July 23rd, 2021

•Scientific and/or Common Name: Tyrannosaurus Rex

•Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Late Cretaceous, Scollard

•State, Province or Region Found: Alberta, Canada

in_situ - Copy.jpeg

IMG_20210726_132114.jpg

IMG_20210726_132147.jpg

1473989916_IMG_20210730_1615443454.png

• Enjoyed 15

6 hours ago, dingo2 said:

I ended up cutting the trip short because it had taken over my mind like gollum with the ring of power.

IMG_20210726_132114.jpg in_situ - Copy.jpeg IMG_20210726_132147.jpg IMG_20210726_193654.jpg

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.archive.org%2Fmail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.archive.org%2F

• Enjoyed 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

This is my first ever Mazon Creek spider find !! It was found open. The frequency of finding a spider (according to the Richardson Book) is 1 in 10,000 concretions !!  Lucky me !!

This one was a creek find !!

Found Sunday, 25 July 2021 

Spider, Architarbus rotundatus

Pennsylvanian, Francis Creek Shale, 

Mazon Creek, Morris, IL USA

spider1b.jpg

new pic2.jpg

new pic3.jpg

new pic1.jpg

Edited by flipper559
better pictures, I hope
  • Enjoyed 7

On 7/26/2021 at 3:08 PM, dingo2 said:

I've spent a lot of time running around the badlands and scouring google earth this summer, and finally got the specimen I've been looking for. Before today, the longest tooth I've personally found was around 2.5 inches.

Some of the teeth around here are so blue that they almost appear to glow in the sediment. When you see the colour out of the corner of you eye, you immediately know what it is. The first piece I found was the tip, and even that was larger than any other tooth in my collection. At least a minute was spent gawking at its appearance before realizing that there was more to be found. I gathered as many additional pieces as I could from from about 8 feet below where the tip was. It was found in the first hour of designated hunting time, so I was pretty much ineffective at searching for the rest of the day because I was just thinking about the tooth in my backpack the entire time. I ended up cutting the trip short because it had taken over my mind like gollum with the ring of power.

After assembly, the tooth is 4 inches and a beauty. I haven't done anything except glue the pieces together due to fear of doing something irreversible. I've noticed that the stone polishing wax that many people use for teeth tends to remove the blue markings that are signature to the teeth found in this area.

•Date of Discovery: July 23rd, 2021

•Scientific and/or Common Name: Tyrannosaurus Rex

•Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Late Cretaceous, Scollard

•State, Province or Region Found: Alberta, Canada

IMG_20210726_132114.jpg

in_situ - Copy.jpeg

IMG_20210726_132147.jpg

IMG_20210726_193654.jpg

Scollard, Alberta? That’s north of Drumheller isn’t it? That would be an Albertosaurus tooth then I believe, not rex, but I could be wrong. Beautiful tooth though. 

• Enjoyed 1

2 minutes ago, musicnfossils said:

Scollard, Alberta? That’s north of Drumheller isn’t it? That would be an Albertosaurus tooth then I believe, not rex, but I could be wrong. Beautiful tooth though. 

The only large theropod in the Scollard Formation is Tyrannosaurus Rex. The Horseshoe Canyon formation is probably what youre thinking of, which is the more well known formation in the Drumheller area.

49 minutes ago, dingo2 said:

The only large theropod in the Scollard Formation is Tyrannosaurus Rex. The Horseshoe Canyon formation is probably what youre thinking of, which is the more well known formation in the Drumheller area.

Ahh, cool. I’ve never heard of that formation before. I’ve only ever avidly hunted in the DPF and foremost formations. If you have or know of land there I could potentially hunt on, please PM me I’d love to check it out. 

Ok well now my little Isle of Wight tooth is looking slightly insignificant :heartylaugh: