help with ID ,bone or antler, i think it is mineralized

luvmymushpups

I found this in the banks of the Yukon River in Alaska yesterday. this spring it flooded and 20ish feet of riverbank was washed away. this was in the washed-out area. it seems to be hard like petrified. At first i thought it was part of an antler but asking around here people did not think it was from a moose because it was to flat and has a knob and not the right shape. so maybe another horned mammal or a bone. Any ideas? it is hard and cannot scratch it it is 7 inches long and 4 inches at the widest part

DSCF2308.JPG

1659851257_DSCF2309(1).JPG

2139562614_DSCF2312(1).JPG

571168068_DSCF2314(2).JPG

DSCF2316.JPG

Hello and welcome to the forum!

This looks like the proximal  end of an artiodactyls jawbone. Even-toed ungulates like bison, cattle or elk.

Best regards,

J

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Yup. I think he's got it. Here is an elk and a bison jaw bone for comparison:

Elk:

il_fullxfull.jpg

Bison:

584-P.JPG

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1

Looking at the pointy end of the coronoid process (upper left in the reference pics) I think we can narrow it down to bovid.

Best regards,

J

• I found this Informative 2

Thomas Henry Huxley

Could it be moose jaw?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

thanks for the replies, i can see now how it is a jaw bone.  i am thinking moose? Also in the reginal area are caribou, dahl sheep, mountain goat, bison and musk ox.

If you compare it to the top left corner of the references digit posted, the more pointed and less rounded end of the coronoid process makes me tend to call it a bovid, thats Bison, cattle and relatives. If you are sure its mineralised, thus probably old, that would leave Bison Sp..

Best Regards,

J

• I found this Informative 3

Thomas Henry Huxley

thank you so much...i have always been a gatherer of interesting things .  I am just learning how to gather information about the cool things I find.

My grand daughter has always loved dinosaurs and has been interested in archology and paleintalogy. This summer she had an opertunity to work at the zoo. her 15th birthday is coming up so I will be sending it to her as a birthday gift. I hope she dosnt think it is weird