Fossil Cycad

jaime82

I have an extensive collection of fossil Cycad and Psaronius "tree fern". My question is...What are museum quality pieces of Cycad worth? I have several collectors who would like prices and I have no idea what would be a fair price for all. I have looked on the internet and there is very little information on "Fossil Cycads for sale". There is only slightly more information on the "Psaronius for sale". Any links or information would be GREATLY appreciated.....I have found so much of this stuff that I almost need storage...lol. Here are a few small pieces...by far not the best...post-3152-050552400 1286306257_thumb.jpgThis piece is 1 1/2" tall and about 2" across the face.

I have an extensive collection of fossil Cycad and Psaronius "tree fern". My question is...What are museum quality pieces of Cycad worth? I have several collectors who would like prices and I have no idea what would be a fair price for all. I have looked on the internet and there is very little information on "Fossil Cycads for sale". There is only slightly more information on the "Psaronius for sale". Any links or information would be GREATLY appreciated.....I have found so much of this stuff that I almost need storage...lol. Here are a few small pieces...by far not the best...post-3152-050552400 1286306257_thumb.jpgThis piece is 1 1/2" tall and about 2" across the face.

I can only upload one picture at a time...so here is a small cross section.. and I appologize for the blurry photo.post-3152-087296500 1286306621_thumb.jpg It is 2" tall by 3" across.

Jaimie,

Not sure if this will be helpful or not.

>>See Here<< >>And Here<<

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

well, a "fair" price is almost as subjective and subject to debate as "museum quality". i guess a lot would depend on what the owner of the property you're getting all the stuff from wants for them. then if you're wholesaling them, you might want a 50% markup from that. if you piece them out at retail, you might want a 100% markup. then there's the hassle of sales tax and self-employment tax and all, so you gotta figure all that in there too.

if you were to cut it up into cabochons and polish it and give it a cool name like they did ammolite, you might be able to sell it by the gram and make a killing...

but really, fossils are each pretty unique. it's kinda hard to price an unseen large lot from one or two samples with kinda fuzzy pictures.

Cycads run all range of prices.

I saw a fine polished agatized cycad slice at the Denver show that was priced at $8000. I saw another 2 foot tall south dakota cycad that had been properly cleaned sell also in that price range.

Then there are cycad slices which are priced at $150 and get no action.

So bottom line is it all depends on what someone is willing to pay.

-YvW

Next fossil auction: June 6th, 2010 - Beverly Hills, CA

http://historical.ha.com/NaturalHistory/

Check out our auctions and past auctions!

Cycads run all range of prices.

I saw a fine polished agatized cycad slice at the Denver show that was priced at $8000. I saw another 2 foot tall south dakota cycad that had been properly cleaned sell also in that price range.

Then there are cycad slices which are priced at $150 and get no action.

So bottom line is it all depends on what someone is willing to pay.

-YvW

Thanks to everyone who posted...you've been helpful. I'm not trying to make a killing...I've been collecting these things for about the past 10 years in several different localities and I've only recently had them identified. I have way more than I need and wanted to unload some of it. Figured they'd be cool fossils for someone else to enjoy. Thanks again :)