Show Us Your Fingers

Nandomas

Nando.... The preservation is supurb.... look at the mineralisation around the fingertips.... :goodjob:

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

batfingers and graptolites!!!

<having properly misidentified two things by 0520 hours, tracer's work for the day is done and he wanders off to find a croissant and some starbucks straight-up java>

Man o man those are some thin bones. Flying reptile? Where is the rest? :unsure:

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Bird "finger":

post-423-045693300 1287610890_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here's a few finger bones I've already posted elsewhere...

The first photo is a metatarsal of a titanothere, the second is a series of finger bones (or are they toes?) form an as of yet unidentified and mostly still uprepped Eocene mammal. The humerus is the big bone to the left. It is about six inches (15 cm) long.

post-1450-083330700 1287636182_thumb.jpg

post-1450-020919800 1287636228_thumb.jpg

Here is a front foot (and end of the tail) of a Psittacosaurus.

PICT0237.jpg

And even though they wouldn't look like fingers in real life :P here is a Mosasaur paddle.

PICT0126.jpg

• 6 years later...

Here's a few of my dino digits.  I have boxes of phalanges and change my displays now and then. Some recent and older photos

Ornithomimid

Tyrannosaur 

Raptor

Hadrosaur pes

Hadrosaur manus

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_1078.JPG

IMG_5055.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Hadrosaur 

Its harder to assemble disarticulated digits  that it at first seems. I can end up with three unguals from one digit, none from another . 4 metatarsals from the middle right digit and none from the left...etc.  Then on top of all the this, they need to be from the same size animal. There are so many permutations to complete a pes or manus. 

IMG_5568.JPG

IMG_5569.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

My, my. Such long fingers you have @Canadawest. I especially like the Ornithomimid and Hadrosaur feet.

Here's some of my stuff.

Left hand of my woolly rhino composite skeleton. I'm still missing the unguals, the second phalanges and one wrist bone. All bones from the North Sea.

Don't mind the skull, it's a replica. :3

P1300399.JPG

And here some 3D models of the middle phalanx and metacarpal.

And here's a little reptile claw, no idea what animal it came from. From Morocco. I found it masquerading as a tooth in a Halisaurus jaw with lots of glue on it.

• I found this Informative 3

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I always like to see these types of close ups.   It gives perspective of what  shapes  might catch the eye when out hiking.  Often just an edge of a specimen is exposed and its so easy to walk by it.  

If I take a group out and I find something like a phalange, I will leave it alone and tell them there is a specimen within a few meters of us. Even then, often nobody can find it.  I often wonder how many fingers and other fossils I've walked right over and didnt see them.

16 hours ago, Canadawest said:

I always like to see these types of close ups.   It gives perspective of what  shapes  might catch the eye when out hiking.  Often just an edge of a specimen is exposed and its so easy to walk by it.  

If I take a group out and I find something like a phalange, I will leave it alone and tell them there is a specimen within a few meters of us. Even then, often nobody can find it.  I often wonder how many fingers and other fossils I've walked right over and didnt see them.

I agree with you. It is the same way for me when it comes to finding Mazon Creek nodules among other rocks, mud, etc. The color and shape are distinctive to me and I would explain it to people by saying that I can spot the nodules the same way they would spot the color of a $20 bill among other green pieces of paper of the same size, then they understand; it is an acquired trait.

Here is a giant armadillo toe with metapodial.  I collected these among a double-handful of small armadillo bones in a small area (a few square feet).  I am not certain, but this may be the original articulation. 

armadillo_toe.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

The armadillo digit is quite intriguing. The rugose texture is similar to Ankylosaur material. These two taxa are not related in any way but some of their skeletal elements likely evolved from similar selection needs.

One of the toe bone from what I suspect is a bird from the cretaceous based on other bones found in the area.

Mike D'Arcy

tarsal Omithothoraces Incertae sedis.jpg