Moroccan Orthoceras

fossils by great lakes

I've been wondering: what's the dealio with the 'Moroccan orthoceras' that we see all the time? Are they all genuine fossils, or fakes? On the same note, why are the majority of fossils taht can be bought at gift shops and online stores, etc. from Morocco? there are a lot of bootlegs coming out of there...Anyways, feel free to discuss the issue here. I'm just wondering. :)

Favorites:

Atrypa

Mucrospirifer

Tentaculites

Hexagonaria

I can add to the discussion.

Many countries prohibit removal of fossils.

In our area, Mexico is one such.

We used to get some nice ammonites from Mexico but that is now prohibited.

Morocco and Madagascar are two countries which permit the export of fossils as a means of providing employment.

Morocco, so far, seems to be really open.

Madagascar does not seem to allow any VERTEBRATE fossil exports but does allow invertebrates to be exported IF they have been processed (polished, cleaned) in some way by locals. This is, of course, an employment imperative.

The vertebrate prohibition from Madagascar is unfortunate as there is a nearly COMPLETE set of strata from the Aptian through to the Miocene at least. There were a long series of oceanic "transgressions and regressions" in which marine strata and terrestrial strata alternated. So, there are layers of marine fossils alternating with land animals. The "KT" boundary is clear and intact.

China is yet another case. Fossil exports are supposed to be authorized and vetted by Chinese officials.

Somehow, looking at what arrives in Tucson each January for the big rock show, I doubt that actually happens.

Last year I saw a complete Hadrosaur nest with 8 eggs within. There were NO distinguishing markings on the crate or packing. There are generally lots of dinosaur eggs for sale for upwards of $700-1000 but I don't bite as the legalities are too unknown.

So, enjoy your orthoceras, they are real. They are too common to tempt a bootlegger.

And they are legal!