Receptaculites?

terriW

this algae is a pretty common find along our river here in NE iowa....and i thought i'd share a few items for my niece who seems interested in tagging along with aunt terri kayaking and poking around on sand bars...(an easy christmas present!)

but once i got home this piece doesnt have the same texture..and that hole with what looks like a gastropod is odd...

including other pictures of 'normal' receptaculites in cross section and the flat surface..some patterns really do look like a sunflower!

post-7393-0-06171100-1322695921_thumb.jpgpost-7393-0-64047400-1322695934_thumb.jpgpost-7393-0-02400900-1322695949_thumb.jpg

this 'hole' is about an inch across on the bottom...and the channels brought my question as to what this might be...

post-7393-0-34995200-1322695979_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Picture number three reminds me of the alveolites I find here in northern illinois.

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

the piece in question has no other identifying marks on it..

the back side is bare as is most of the face but for this 'volcano' design...

Hmm, nice finds, I love the looks of Receptaculites in cross section... Just picked one up in your neck of the woods last weekend.

post-3840-0-88830300-1322700207_thumb.jpg

As far as your mystery item, I'm not sure what it is. I can tell you that it is definitely from the Stewartville member of the Galena formation(Upper Ordovician) and the gastropod on the bottom of the photo is a partial Hormatoma major. I have some ideas on the other item, but I will have to get back tomorrow(all my PDF's are on my work computer).

We have related algae in the Pennsylvanian, but they are very difficult to find, as they are almost microscopic and are usually fragmented.

I would love to bring home one of those sunflowers from the MO Ord.

Context is critical.

The recepticulites is found in the Kimmswick here is this part of Missouri. It is exposed along the Mississippi here in Scott County. We were poking around one day, and found an entire reef of the material. Quite amazing, need to go back and get some photos.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

The recepticulites is found in the Kimmswick here is this part of Missouri. It is exposed along the Mississippi here in Scott County. We were poking around one day, and found an entire reef of the material. Quite amazing, need to go back and get some photos.

Brent Ashcraft

Yes, please!

Context is critical.

since you know this area caleb, i found this piece in question just upstream from the park in kendalville, but below the first cold water spring along that bluff...

nice display of the algae structure indy! we see bits and pieces all the time, i have some larger specimens but they're pretty worn down...

so am i right or wrong on that third photo with the dime?..rob suggested alveolites?..appears very similar...

seems weather may finally change to winter any hour, so my days of hunting this rare low water levels may soon come to a close!

From what I can gather, Alveolites seems to be a Silurian-Devonian coral. What you have in pic 3 looks like a worn piece of Receptaculites. I'm still milling over the mystery item, I'm leaning toward the underside of the bottom whorl of a gastropod.

so am i right or wrong on that third photo with the dime?..rob suggested alveolites?..appears very similar...

post-6417-0-42128400-1322747775_thumb.jpg

These old eyes see Receptaculites.

Not familiar with the coral Alveolites...so I did a quick search

Interesting page on the subject wih some pictures: My Link B)

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

really tough to make sense of this with a snapshot!

this shows most of what this has to offer

post-7393-0-55080300-1322761122_thumb.jpg

gives you an idea of the depth

post-7393-0-11006100-1322761136_thumb.jpg

a fairly flat profile..

post-7393-0-45698800-1322761100_thumb.jpg

Edited to help these old eyes

post-6417-0-36333800-1322762286_thumb.jpg

I see stess and or striations at 6 O'Clock

possible shell material or mineral deposit

on on the wall of the depression

post-6417-0-65570300-1322762307_thumb.jpg

I see a gastropod-like shape on the rim

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show