Is This A Fusulinid?

barefootgirl

Hit the Ben Franklin Bridge yesterday with Barry and Mako Ken. Found some good stuff but this one thing had me stumped. I think I remember someone posting something similar to this not to long ago but I couldn't remember what it was called. This would be from the sulphur, so it' upper cretaceous material.

post-1082-0-96512900-1325221230_thumb.jpg

post-1082-0-37647000-1325221233_thumb.jpg

Edited by barefootgirl

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

"Rice Crispies" like that are usually fusulinids; a microsection would rule out something like ghost shrimp coprolites.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It does not resemble the fusilidnd Tricites which is the next common of the order

Members of that clade have temoral range of Silurian to Permian.

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.

Well how about crustacean poop?

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Well how about crustacean poop?

Section some and look for organized structure under magnification; poop would lack any.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

To me, they look a bit too 'irregular' to be fusulinids, but yet it is conceivable that a fusulinid-bearing clast could somehow end up in a Cretaceous deposit.

Context is critical.

To me, they look a bit too 'irregular' to be fusulinids, but yet it is conceivable that a

fusulinid-bearing clast could somehow end up in a Cretaceous deposit.

I do no think we are looking at coprolite

Loeblich and Tappan, 1988, gives a range of Fusulinida from the Lower Silurian

to the Upper Permian, although in the Treatise, 1964, it is given from the

Ordovician to the Triassic.

If they are not fusulinids...then I have no idea what the shapes could possibly

represent, unless we are looking at some kind of mineral deposit.

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Ghost shrimp (callianassid) feces would have some organized structure. Modern and fossil fecal pellets from ghost shrimp are easily identified by the bilaterally symmetrical arrangement of two groups of canals (sometimes referred to as haemorrhodilates) that run the length of the pellets parallel to the long axis. These canals derive from projections extending from the posterior margin of the rear gut that leave their mark on the still-fluid feces as it travels past them. These projections likely divert larger particles in the feces, which might irritate the tissues of the shrimp, away from the pellet edges. The pattern of canals is species-specific and aids ecologists studying modern ecosystems in identifying the pellet’s producers.

Section some and look for organized structure under magnification; poop would lack any.

Ghost shrimp (callianassid) feces would have some organized structure. Modern and fossil fecal pellets from ghost shrimp are easily identified by the bilaterally symmetrical arrangement of two groups of canals (sometimes referred to as haemorrhodilates) that run the length of the pellets parallel to the long axis. These canals derive from projections extending from the posterior margin of the rear gut that leave their mark on the still-fluid feces as it travels past them. These projections likely divert larger particles in the feces, which might irritate the tissues of the shrimp, away from the pellet edges. The pattern of canals is species-specific and aids ecologists studying modern ecosystems in identifying the pellet’s producers.

We need to get someone working on a gene splice into humans for this set up :)

But arnt members of the Callianassid tend to have "fuzzier" consitancy?

PUBLICATIONS

Author

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

Education

It does'nt look like fusulinids to me. It looks like a conglomerate of some sort.

Jim

The Eocene is my favorite

This thing is packed full of these rice looking things. I also noticed that the coporolite that I found down there has these things on them.

post-1082-0-77288200-1325291246_thumb.jpg

You can see them on this coprolite as well.

Alfred North Whithead

This thing is packed full of these rice looking things. I also noticed that the coporolite that I found down there has these things on them.

Ok on that sample,

the "rice" objects I dont think are fuslinids (not due to morphs and temporal).

But that looks like a big piece of <CENSORED>.

Edited by Texas-Tunnel Rat

PUBLICATIONS

Author

Author

Quotes

Education

On; are you sure they're not in ?

On; are you sure they're not in ?

Actually, they could be in it, rather than on it. :)

Alfred North Whithead

Actually, they could be in it, rather than on it. :)

The distinction may be pedantic, but it could matter if it's something that it's 'maker' ate, or something that was eating it.

Not pedantic at all. If it fell on these tiny things and they stuck to the outside that's entirely different than if they are what it's composed of.

The distinction may be pedantic, but it could matter if it's something that it's 'maker' ate, or something that was eating it.