West Texas Clam

Hit The Deck

A friend of mine gave this to me from a dry creek bed on hunting lease in west Texas. It’s about 3-1/3” long and weighs about a pound and a half. Any idea on a make and model? He did say there were more so I need to find out if I can get permission to do some post dead hunting

post-2688-0-30548200-1329948813_thumb.jpg

post-2688-0-21851200-1329948827_thumb.jpg

im pretty sure its an eroded AMC Pacer :)

post-4577-0-51800600-1329949424_thumb.jpg

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

after looking at the pacer wiki I am guessing a beige 1978 Pacer D/L sp., but hopefully others will weigh in...

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

You guy's will power is amazing! I had a dead Pacer one time, I used it as a green house.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Looks like the internal mold of a pelecypod, maybe Pholadomya if Cretaceous? :blink:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Almost looks like a nut!

For comparison...Coco-de-Mer-Seychellien

post-7046-0-93226300-1329963999_thumb.jpg

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Definitely a clam steinkern; if it were from the Paleocene of Maryland, I would call it Culculla gigantea.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It certainly looks Cretaceous. But to proceed with a Genus ID we need to see the outline of the clam. Flip it 90 degrees and take another picture. Also more infor on location would also help.

Jim

The Eocene is my favorite

Here is a side view and one for scale. Sorry about location, some ware in the vast prime west Texas hunting lease area. Maybe that narrows it down to the size of Connecticut or one on the larger 50,000 sq mile states? :blink:

post-2688-0-28143500-1330042380_thumb.jpg

post-2688-0-76467800-1330042408_thumb.jpg