Lee Creek Megachasma?

John Hamilton

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a great looking Megachasma. Very rare. Purchase or find?

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Found. Picked it out of the material I brought back from Aurora, NC.

I'm unsure on this one. In a megamouth I would expect the crown to curve back over the root at a more of an angle and the cutting edges to be less distinct toward the base of the crown. The tooth shows some wear preventing me from making a quick determination and leaving me wondering if it's a Galeocerdo parasymphyseal, which can have a basal root outline a lot like that. I don't see many megamouth teeth nor many that resemble one (especially from Lee Creek) so this is an interesting tooth in either case.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a great looking Megachasma. Very rare. Purchase or find?

Here are several views of one of my contortus symphyseals. The last photo shows why it isn't Megachasma; it has serrations.

post-2301-0-40835100-1330726235_thumb.jpg post-2301-0-05035800-1330726250_thumb.jpg

post-2301-0-56697600-1330726264_thumb.jpg post-2301-0-03710400-1330726277_thumb.jpg

post-2301-0-79674900-1330726287_thumb.jpg post-2301-0-05751500-1330726300_thumb.jpg

OK, I'll concede defeat on this one. At first glance, the similarity is surprising, but with a close look at small details like the tiny serrations and cutting edge, the difference becomes clear. Anybody want to donate one of those contortus symphyseals to my collection????? ;)

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

OK, I'll concede defeat on this one. At first glance, the similarity is surprising, but with a close look at small details like the tiny serrations and cutting edge, the difference becomes clear. Anybody want to donate one of those contortus symphyseals to my collection????? ;)

Based on the new picture I took of the tooth in question I have to agree that this tooth is a Contortus symphyseal. At 400X magnification I can just make out some serrations that werenot visible at 20X magnification. As always I appreciate the great feedback.

post-6248-0-98169400-1330728980_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Hamilton

NS,

The ones that look like megamouth teeth are uncommon. In the Bakersfield, California area, there were rumors that megamouth teeth could be found in the Sharktooth Hill Bonebed but all the candidates I have seen have been contortus parasymphyseals. A longtime collector out there once showed me a couple of teeth hoping they were megamouth but already suspecting they were contortus.

Sometimes, it's pretty clear that it's a contortus (when the crown is rather flat, or as noted, when there is even a hint of a serration row), but sometimes the crown is thicker and worn enough to erase the serrations (and the nutrient groove length and position seems to fit the range of variation for both). Another clue that it's a contortus is when the crown leans to one side while also sweeping back over the root rather than sweeping back directly over the root.

I have only a couple of these (traded one recently but can keep an eye open for one for you).

Jess

I have several... I'll trade you for some micro material... ;)

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

~Sir Winston Churchill

• 1 year later...

here are some pictures of a tooth we have. found in aurora material. it does have serrations. please let us know your opinions.