Cylindrical Fossil With Tubular Core

txcreekwalker

I found this fossil in the same dry river bed that all others I've posted came from. The bed has lots of gravel (and sand) of course and that gravel includes an occasional tiny crinoid and small pieces of petrified wood are common, some black in color and some white in color. The river bed is about 20 feet deeper than the surrounding terrain.

This object, black in color, is about 2 inches long but it's easy to see that one end is broken. The other end seems to be intact and is flat on one end. There's a tubular shape running all the way through it. In the pics, the number 2 is the flat, unbroken end and 1 is the broken end and that number is placed on the other end of the tubular shape that runs all the way through the object, but might be hard to distinguish in the photo. My guess would be some sort of plant life but my guesses are usually wrong. Any help appreciated.

post-10238-0-08999400-1350544096_thumb.jpg

It might be a concretion that formed around a root.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Huh, I think I see faint septa in the first photo so, nautiloid?

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

I'm going to jump in on this (hope this is okay :)--because I found a fossil so similar yesterday it is unreal!

Ordovician, Galena Formation SE MN

post-9628-0-95379300-1350578960_thumb.jpgpost-9628-0-14621500-1350578985_thumb.jpg

These are the first two pics, two more in another post because this one won't take two more :)

Originally I was thinking a ceph, but then the inside core.... hmmmmmmmmm

Then I was thinking crinoid segment (indian beads...)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

post-9628-0-11725400-1350579157_thumb.jpgpost-9628-0-61252000-1350579176_thumb.jpg

Other two pics I promised.

Ideas, comments, suggestions?

And please, let me know if jumping in on something is unacceptable behavior. I really don't want to make anyone mad, do the wrong thing, etc. They were just so similar!

Bev :)

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

No problem, Bev. I just don't see the similarities. If mine wasn't broken, it appears that it would have been the shape of a pipe, the same width from end to end with a perfectly straight, centered core.

@txcreekwalker- I don't know what that is. Very interesting looking though. You might go over it with a magnifier to see if you see any distinguishing features to give a clue. [Auspex and mikeymig are leaps and bounds more experienced than I am ;) ]

@Bev- Yours is a piece of a crinoid column. I think the ones like that are cool, with the alternating disc (columnal) sizes. :)

Steve

When I looked at your 3 pics, the first one, to me :), seemed like the bottom had regular ridges, like mine... Old eyes maybe... Sronger prescription :) LOL !!!

And then I focussed on the middle core and mine had a middle core too.

But I'm sure you are right because you have yours in hand.

I APOLOGIZE SINCERELY! They looked the same to me...

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Oh Bullsnake, thank you so much!

I've been searching for a crinoid column for 6 months!

Happy Day!!!!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Any idea of the age? Looks like a piece of Baculites to me. I don't see the collumnal sections?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The cross section in the second picture in post #4 clearly shows the calcitic nature of the interior, so it's clear that this is a crinoid stem and not a cephalopod.

Since stalked crinoids (except those with the typical pentagonal stems like pentacrinids, isocrinids etc.) were rare in younger times, it seems probable that this specimen is of palaeozoic age. There were, however, circular crinoid stalks with columnals of varying size also in the mesozoic (e.g., in the upper parts of the stalks of Encrinus, close to the crown), but this specimen looks too large for Encrinus.

araucaria1959

Hi 1959!

So you think this ISN"T Ordovician?! Found it on a roadside cut, supposed to be Galena Formation. My mother and my sister were with me, we had fun!

I've been looking for a crinoid forever! At first I thought it was another ceph, but the inside made me question that.

This is a large crinoid stem? At Forestville Park the one they showed was about as big, more regular than this one...

I'm going to look up these ages and see what I come up with as time frames (newby you know :)

Anything else you would like to share would be welcome!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Getting an education :)

So Paleozoic has the Ordovician in it...

Mesozoic is the Dinosaur Age! Young, comparatively of course :)

So, you think because this crinoid is large it could be from the age of dinosaurs?

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Looks like the remains of a carbon D cell battery...

Darrow

I think Darrow is onto something here. It may not be a "D" cell, but it could one of the worn cores from an old farm equipment battery.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Any idea of the age? Looks like a piece of Baculites to me. I don't see the collumnal sections?

I was refering to the first set of pictures with the black specimen.

The second set looks looks like Ordovician crinoid stem pieces.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks