A Bony Enigma..is It A Fish?

MOROPUS

Well, it looks quite enigmatic. The supposed teeths have no enamel or a visible root, the possible jaw bone hasn`t got the right curvature... It is quite mineralized.The only thing reminds me this (vagely), is a Lophodontiid front teeth.But the bone is not mammal.What the heck is this? :blink:

post-62-1224444404_thumb.jpg

post-62-1224444416_thumb.jpg

post-62-1224444428_thumb.jpg

post-62-1224444449_thumb.jpg

The thing it most resembles to me is Brychaetus muelleri. I've only seen a jaw segment illustrated in the publication about an Eocene site near Fredericksburg, Virginia. The teeth usually found isolated and are almost all root with only a tiny tip of enamel on them.

Guest bmorefossil
The thing it most resembles to me is Brychaetus muelleri. I've only seen a jaw segment illustrated in the publication about an Eocene site near Fredericksburg, Virginia. The teeth usually found isolated and are almost all root with only a tiny tip of enamel on them.

hmm im going to go with ron on this thats all i can think it is

I always Google search for the names of creatures mentioned on these boards that I've not heard of.

Searching for "Brychaetus muelleri" found this page

...and while it has a picture of a Brychaetus muelleri tooth, it also has a picture of a "Hadrodus headetti Pycnodont Jaw" which is very similar to what you have!

post-166-1224506978_thumb.jpg

What do you think? Looks a lot like your jaw section to me.

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.