Obamadon? Now Ancient Creatures Can Get More Political...

Scylla

I don't think it would be necessarily desirable for the politician in question.

"Run for your life! It's the Obamadon!"

:)

Context is critical.

True, "he's coming to take a bite out of your paycheck!" but pro or con, it still seems unseemly. Maybe for a former president as an honor the way musicians get things named for them. Doesn't Obamadon translate to Obama tooth?

How is this necessarily political? Because the honoree is a politician?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Absolutely absurd to politicize the naming of a fossil for cheap notoriety.

With the divided electorate that gets you as many friends as enemies....

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Absolutely absurd to politicize the naming of a fossil for cheap notoriety.

With the divided electorate that gets you as many friends as enemies....

More controversial honorees have happened. Mesoparapylocheles michaeljacksoni

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

I think that what I find galling is that naming a species after a high-profile person with no connection to the described specimen (or to science, for that matter) seems frivolous. There is no back story, no connection. Better to stick with tradition when exercising the traditions of science.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I heartily agree with Auspex...though I must admit getting a chuckle out of some names like Arfia for an ancient dog and Dracorex hogwartsi. Traditionally...when a taxon was named after a person it was named to honor a significant contributor in the world of science.

-Joe

• I found this Informative 1

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

One of My neighbors went to Berkeley in the mid 1960s. he did his thesis on somewhere that had brachiopods. there were two new ones he got to name---------something? jaegerensis and (dont remember) zappaii. I thought that was kinda neat!

Edited by PRK

Don't forget the scientific contribution of T. jeff. But that was a different time.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

It won't be the first time that a president was honored--Chesapecten jeffersonius and Chesapecten madisonius.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

I persoanlly enjoy fun names in nomenclature. The extinct Australian snake Montypythonoides is my personal favorite. There is a Cretaceous something from Madagascar named after Dire Straits leadman Mark Knopfler.... something or other knopfleri... the guys who named it listened to a lot of Dire Straits in the quarry. Cartoonist Gary Larsen, of The Far Side, fame has some louse named after him. I like this stuff, even if it makes me roll my eyes. Nowadays some folks are actually auctioning off (to help fund research) the naming rights to new species... yes if The Home Depot is willing to pay up, there will soon me a Critterosaurus HomeDepoti...possibly even with a capital D in the middle. I find this hugely more cheezey, ludicrous and disturbing than naming it after any president.

On the other hand, for Xmas I am flying into Ronald Reagan Airport... I am sooooo bummed. I once mentioned my feelings about this airport's name over lunch with the chief of Montana's Republican party... that was a show-stopper. Oops. But one of the better stories I've managed to accumulate. And he still let me go collecting on his place.

Hi,

Anecdotally, our ex-president of the republic was not liked, and in the paleontology world, a lot of people spoken of him in "Sarcosuchus" or "Sarcosuchus imperator"... The biggest difference which existed between him and this nice old reptile was their size !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I think that what I find galling is that naming a species after a high-profile person with no connection to the described specimen (or to science, for that matter) seems frivolous. There is no back story, no connection. Better to stick with tradition when exercising the traditions of science.

I agree. Some rock musicians or Hogwarts castle for that matter represent something meaningful to the person naming the critter, but I think that naming it after a sitting politician is what I find troubling. I would be just as opposed to naming it after the researcher's current university president (has anyone done that yet?) I know that Jefferson made significant contributions to early American paleontology (I heard he even thought that mammoths might be found by Lewis and Clark on the expedition he sent them on) so I don't mind so much that he gets his own scallop. Was it named during his incumbency?

Chesapecten jeffersonius was described and named by Thomas Say in 1824, two years before the former 2nd President's death (and 15 years after his term in office). Interestingly, the fossil pecten had been enshrined by Martin Lister as the first fossil from the new world to appear in scientific literature, in 1687.

Chesapecten jeffersonius was described and named by Thomas Say in 1824, two years before the former 2nd President's death (and 15 years after his term in office). Interestingly, the fossil pecten had been enshrined by Martin Lister as the first fossil from the new world to appear in scientific literature, in 1687.

Thomas Say is my second favorite naturalist with strong ties to Indiana, he's only surpassed by W.S. Blatchley. Our Purdue entomology undergraduate society is named in honor of him. We also have a good number of Thomas Say themed geocaches hidden around campus. Sorry for the blatant plug. :D

Edited by AgrilusHunter

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett