Show Us Your "other" Stuff

Generalnotes

After reading the post by Chrisw422 about the pipe found in Virginia, I started thinking about all the odd and unusual stuff I've found. I would love to see what others have picked up on their adventures other than fossils. I'll start with some of the bone digging tools I've picked up over the years.

These were found on Sargent Island on the coast of Texas. The Karankawa Indians made their home here.

post-10184-0-10727900-1368125078_thumb.jpg

Also, here are a couple of the many large caliber shells from WWII I've picked up.

post-10184-0-07753900-1368125156_thumb.jpg

Edited by Generalnotes

?

post-22-0-44236300-1368140623_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-02231000-1368140657_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-36187600-1368140685_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-06472200-1368140722_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-68940900-1368140739_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Not as creepy as Dan's but we saw this yesterday out near Hays Kansas. I tried editing it for a better picture, but wasn't able to improve it any. (You need to look to the right of the telephone pole.)

Ramo

post-40-0-44453000-1368155045_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Dang I cant find the photos!.........anyways.......Once while exploring a road cut, hidden in a crevasse I found a tin box, ... I was really bewildered, here was this box stuck behind some rocks full of what seemed like odd personal items. I was at a complete loss of why someone put it there. But after reading the note inside, I discovered It was a Geocaching treasure box. We wrote the date of the find as required and left a little something inside.

Not as creepy as Dan's but we saw this yesterday out near Hays Kansas. I tried editing it for a better picture, but wasn't able to improve it any. (You need to look to the right of the telephone pole.)

Ramo

Are you referring to the grain elevator or the tree in front of the tornado?

Context is critical.

!

post-22-0-83545800-1368191651_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

There is a tornado to the right of the telephone pole. It is retracting in the photo, and doesn't quite reach the ground. I heard there were pictures of this tornado the The Weather Channel.

-Aldo Leopold

Dan's finds just get more and more creepy!

-Aldo Leopold

Sometimes you can find "other" stuff just by doing research.

Note the "MD80 in the lake"

post-6450-0-63700900-1368727972_thumb.jpg

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

I found these items in areas of dried up river bed last year in the local river. First is this face made out of clay.

post-2411-0-55192200-1368742250_thumb.jpg

And these clay bottle toppers. At first I thought I was finding pottery anvils. Further study brought me to the conclusion that they're bottle toppers.

post-2411-0-16039200-1368742408_thumb.jpg

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

or even . . .

attachicon.gifhundredbill.jpg

That reminds me....

A few years back, I was hunting crinoids, sponges and such when I spotted a piece of paper in the drainage ditch that ran along the entrance ramp. It was a $1 bill. It was covered with algae and a bit of mud, but I didn't care (I'm sure the currency in your wallet has gone through worse....). Anyway, I looked over, and there is another $1 laying there. Okay, you probably know what was going through my mind at that point. Right. I continued along, and there lies a $20 bill. Yeah.... :) . Next was a $5, $50 and a few more. Overall, I netted around $150 or so.

Sorry. I didn't keep any of the bills to show off here. :)

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

That reminds me....

A few years back, I was hunting crinoids, sponges and such when I spotted a piece of paper in the drainage ditch that ran along the entrance ramp. It was a $1 bill. It was covered with algae and a bit of mud, but I didn't care (I'm sure the currency in your wallet has gone through worse....). Anyway, I looked over, and there is another $1 laying there. Okay, you probably know what was going through my mind at that point. Right. I continued along, and there lies a $20 bill. Yeah.... :) . Next was a $5, $50 and a few more. Overall, I netted around $150 or so.

Sorry. I didn't keep any of the bills to show off here. :)

Nice find, MOman! I just had to keep one of the bills (it's negotiable) 'cause finding a cache of cash is such a rare experience.

But, then I've found just one cast bronze propeller, as well.

post-42-0-19379200-1368755672_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I've found three of these hand-forged anchors. This is the medium-size example at about 40 lbs nominal. These were carried, collapsed, by small vessels including steamboats which plied rivers of the SE. Rivers were the routes of commerce and travel for a very long time in the SE.

post-42-0-38106600-1368899608_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest