Dr. Derek Main R.i.p.

mikecable

It is with great sadness that we inform you of the death of Dr. Derek Main, Director of the Arlington Archosaur Site. Dr. Main's commitment to science and passion for education inspired many. Details regarding services for Dr. Main will be posted here as they become available.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Arlington-Archosaur-Site/188601874524788?directed_target_id=0

http://www.facebook.com/derek.main.547?directed_target_id=0

My thoughts go out to his family and many friends.

holy smokes, this is quite a shock. i only met derek once, at fossilmania. life can be unfairly short. this sort of thing makes me introspectively examine my own legacy. along those lines, i gave away some nice fossils to interested coworkers today in derek's memory.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

This is a very sad day for the paleo world. I had always wanted to get out to the Arlington site and meet him. I had always heard great things about him. I guess you should never put things off for to long.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I am completely shocked!! He was a great guy!!

Roz

I immediately thought of you and Kevin Anderson when I saw this. Like barefootgirl I intended to try to join the dig this summer or next. I only knew Derek via FaceBook. But the outpouring of emotion of FaceBook clearly shows the nature of the man. Tragic.

Roz

I immediately thought of you and Kevin Anderson when I saw this. Like barefootgirl I intended to try to join the dig this summer or next. I only knew Derek via FaceBook. But the outpouring of emotion of FaceBook clearly shows the nature of the man. Tragic.

I only met Derek a couple of times a few years ago at the site but Kevin worked with him long term as well as other members on here..

It is so sad as he was at such a great place in his life both professionally and personally.. I am so very sorry for his family and all his close

friends!! He certainly will be remembered with fondness and a great deal of respect.

Welcome to the forum!

Derek had just earned his doctorate this spring and in a recent conversation we had, he said he was really looking forward to beginning his search for a new affiliation. He was mentor to many, some of them good friends of mine and my thoughts are with them and his family and colleagues. Bob

Un-freakin-believable! I met Derek a couple of times and kept up on the Arlington Archosaur Site progress through the Facebook page. He was a thorough scientist and loved the hell out of paleontology and had a great career ahead.

He just posted the other day new pictures of the town home he was about to move into. The family says his passing was from an accident in his new home.

He was just a few months younger than me, would have been 42 in August.

:(:(:(

Edited by LanceH

Sometimes I'm a Lutheran. Sometimes I'm a Universalist/Unitarian. Sometimes I'm a Taoist. And sometimes I'm a Buddhist.

Sometimes I question God.

Too sad :(

Art Sahlstein arranged for PaleoNature an interview with Derek during my visit to The Arlington Archosaur Site in 2009. Due of a big big storm, the meeting never happened. I am now so sad to have missed the opportunity of meet him :(

http://www.paleonature.org/from-the-dig-site/122-i-dinosauri-della-porta-accanto

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Sorry to hear of his passing.

May he rest in peace.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• New Members

I only met him once and it was at my first ever conference. He struck me as a cool guy right off the bat when he started his presentation joking about how excited he was that he thought he had a lot (about 7) lungfish tooth plates and then found out (on a totally different project) my lab had hundreds. We ended up talking for a while after his presentation. His enthusiasm was contagious and aww inspiring. It has been said before but is worth saying again: a great man is gone and science lost a very valuable member. He will be missed. To those that were close to him, my thoughts are with you.