Is This A Rock Or A Fossil? What Am I?

beachgal

I found this in the gulf off Venice Fl. It is 3 inches long and 1 3/4 wide. It does not appear to be porous. I have been collecting fossils for over a year now and have never seen anything like this before. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

post-12495-0-78374300-1373693699_thumb.jpg

post-12495-0-89709000-1373693757_thumb.jpg

Edited by beachgal

Hi Beachgal , are there igneous/volcanic rocks in the are you found this , if so it could be part of a pilow lava section that has become weathered but as I say im not certain as Im not sure of the geology there

• I found this Informative 1

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

Hi Beachgal , are there igneous/volcanic rocks in the are you found this , if so it could be part of a pilow lava section that has become weathered but as I say im not certain as Im not sure of the geology there

the two last pics would be the undereath of the lava flow and the second pic first post would be the top where the lava bubbled to the surface the striations on the rock in the last post could show the direction of flow of the lava

• I found this Informative 1

I don't think there has been any volcanic activity in Florida for millions of years.

It is a very interesting looking thing

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

This is one of the more bizarre objects I have seen posted to the Forum!

It really looks organic in some ways, but I have no clue as to its identity. Hopefully, something about it will ring a bell for someone.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Oddest thing I've seen in a while. If you had only showed one sie of it (either side!) I'd have had a suggestion as to its identity - a different suggestion for each side.

One side looks like a series of cetacean cervical vertebrae in a nodule which has become water worn and rounded. Way too small for that, of course.

The other side looks a bit like a coprolite.

The pictures aren't quite in focus enough for me to say anything more.....

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

This item is definitely not cement, it has a gritty feel to it. Could it be sediment that has formed around another object? Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I could take this for identification?

We've seen only one other one quite a while ago but failed to pick it up at that time. So this is the only one in our possession.

It is lighter than a rock of this size but it is also hollow straight thru. There are 5 "columns" on each side that are connected only on the top and bottom.

sorry BeachgalI I was way off the mark with my Id !!! :blush: but I was going on the look of this unusual but intriguing find, perhaps I should have found out more about the geology before jumping to unfounded conclusions

Hope an Id can be found soon for you

regards Chris

Can't seem to find the image I am looking for but I feel pretty sure this is a septarian nodule in which a line of the dessication cracks has cleaved revealing some of the other perpendicular cracks that hadn't yet filled with a secondary mineral.

Is the second image of the bottom or a side? If it is the side please show us the bottom. Those lines around the slits are very intriguing.

edit: Ok now I can see that the 3rd picture is the bottom view. It sure doesn't seem like this could be geological.

Edited by BobWill

Piece of turtle shell?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

This is not turtle shell. Septarian nodule sounds more plauseable. Carl, I am very interested in the picture if you do come across it.

Wow beachgal, you have stumped the forum, I'm surprised....I think I have seen this before on the forum, but I cant place were and when.....so to start a new

I'm thinking maybe, wood/fossil wood?

post-4158-0-69895600-1374114275_thumb.jpg

But, dang if it dont look like an odd chunk of limestone?

Edited by bdevey

Could it be a seed pod?? Or rather one half. The seeds could have nestled in the gaps.

Edited by Batty

Great work, Carl!

:goodjob:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!