Austin Chalk Find

wfrr

Here is something I saw while looking through some piles of Austin chalk by a construction area in North Texas near the basal Atco. Because it was broken in at least 2 places and part of it was missing I did not collect it. I keep having second thoughts about it.

It is about 12 inches long or so. There is a center core and then an outline but no bone material that I can make out. It almost looks like it had a tail on it. I figure it was some kind of plant life or possibly just a spot where roots grew into the chalk and left a stain and remains. What do you guys think?

post-9617-0-83852500-1377708503_thumb.jpg

Wfrr, I would definitely say it looks like plant root. I have seen this before. Did you find anything else in the area? We have chalk sediments in my surrounding area, but it seems like sedimentary rock. I have yet to find a fossil in it...however, I am not giving up. Best of luck in your search.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Randy

To be honest with you I believe I would have picked it up. Even if it is plant material in the Austin it is not extremely common.

I may slip by there, take another look around and fetch that one yet. I have another find there with a bunch of tiny verts in it. I put a fragment of it soaking to see if they will come out of there or just crumble to bits. Im hoping for amazing preservation. If its good I need to go pick up a block of that I left there too.

I think I would keep that one, nice find.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks