Pliocene Shark Teeth

paco

Hi people.

Just uploading some (really bad, my apologies) scans of some of the sharkteeth I've found over the years in Greece.

Hope to shoot some better pics or get to a better scanner to do so...

post-5541-0-78742400-1382972939_thumb.jpg

post-5541-0-41820100-1382972958_thumb.jpg

post-5541-0-31197400-1382972973_thumb.jpg

post-5541-0-62755900-1382972983_thumb.jpg

post-5541-0-67035300-1382973005_thumb.jpg

Very nice to see shark;s teeth from Greece :)

I am curious about the two I've circled: post-423-0-82071500-1382974766_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The one on the right looks like a Squalicorax cf yangaensis or maybe a Galeocerdo

Edited by John Hamilton

Hi people.

Just uploading some (really bad, my apologies) scans of some of the sharkteeth I've found over the years in Greece.

Hope to shoot some better pics or get to a better scanner to do so...

Nice! I think these are the first fossil shark teeth I've seen from Greece.

Hey! That's great! I didn't even know there were fossil shark teeth in Greece. Thanks for sharing.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Very nice shark collection, my friend!!!!! :wub:;)

And speaking of our country, undoubtedly of a dense variety and of a high importance!!! :fistbump:B)

Unfortunately, I am not on the help with the ids but I hope that someone of the TFF experts on shark teeth has probably something to say...

I thank in advance our TFF friends for the help! ;)

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Paco, Nice collection and presentation! I wouldn't say your first 4 pics are bad at all, especially if you have larger copies. A scanner can do a good job! - maybe not for a scientific publication, but certainly for TFF.

Definitely take care of these, especially if you have 'cornered the market' on Greek shark teeth... ;)

Hi people.

Never did I excpect such an enthusiastic reception for my humble shark teeth collection, thanks for the nice comments I'm quite pleased :-).

Auspex the two you have encircled I thought that they are hammerhead teeth, unfortunately the roots are missing on most of my speciments maybe due to diagenetic processes so identification will not be easy...

A quick introduction (I'd love to get proper IDs for all these): the first group are Odontaspis teeth (maybe some other species too, the ones without roots could have had or might not have had side denticles...), second group are Carcharodon (great white) teeth, third are Isurus teeth and fourth are a mix of maybe upper and lower lemon shark or Carcharhinus teeth and (the ones Auspex asked about) the hammerhead teeth (John Hamilton thanks for the hint, could be Squalicorax aswell..).

I have spme very small ones and also some ray teeth taht are too small to scan properly... Maybe later.

Any help on identifying them will be appreciated. As you may have noticed not many teeth are found in Greece and no guides are at hand to try to ID them.

After Astrinos uploaded his fossil shark pics (he's even found a Magalodon tooth!) I thought I'd post some of mine, too.

Very nice teeth.I love the colors.Thanks for sharing.Btw I really loved the GW in the matrix

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!