What References/resources Do You Use To Id Trilo Fragments?

PennyT.

Fossil Forum Trilobite Lovers,

what references/resources do you use to identify trilobite fragments? Besides Caleb's photo gallery at midwestpaleo and the Dry Dredgers site, what would you recommend?

What is really helpful are photos of trilo parts labeled in the matrix against which to compare one's own find. I am wondering if this is worth a separate thread for my fellow newbies- one where people post photos identifying molts and parts in situ, thought anyone?

thanks

Penny

Penny,

I'm just starting out in trilo country myself having just moved to the area, so I'll be watching this thread closely. Thanks for posting the question.

Here's one I found in the past but just starting to use:

http://www.trilobites.info/

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

That is an excellent one Sward! Explains a lot about trilobites. I'm so boggled with over 5,000 species of the critters, well, its too much for me!

I too will be watching this thread in hopes of gaining more knowledge!

Bev :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

It would be more manageable to research resources

of trilobites known from the areas one collects

than trilobites of the world.

Wonderful advice Indy, my problem is not knowing what trilobites are here to research just them. Midwestpaleo.com (Caleb's site) has a lot of them but not necessarily in a way to research and recognize them. He has lots of beautifully prepped trilobite fossils. But recognizing just an eye sticking out, or a free cheek, well that is beyond me at this point... :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

My resource is...drum roll....'The Fossil Forum'.

Most of the time we just need advice to get us pointed in the right direction. Some member can then suggest a regional publication, etc.

I'm not a fan of general guides other that a primer Paleontological textbook to learn the basics on taxonomy, geologic ages, etc.

Some of this may have been covered above, but here goes anyway.... :)

My method in the past has been to look through the appropriate 'Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology' volumes and write down every genus that is in the right age range. I also note the locations given for each genus. The states listed indicate which types are most likely to be found. There's a fair chance that a nearby college library will have a set of these Treatise volumes. Now that you have a list of genera, you can research them in various publications.

I also comb the publications of my local state geological survey as well as those in nearby states. These titles are likely listed online. I look for information on stratigraphic units as well as fossil types. If you're lucky, you may even find a study on the trilobites of some formation. Also, look through reference lists at the end of any publication that you are able to read. There always seems to be at least a couple references that look promising.

I would research the taxonomy of trilobites (or whichever fossil) to figure out the anatomical differences. With enough knowledge and practice, you'll get to the point where you can spot certain types -- or have a good idea -- with just a look at a partial piece.

• I found this Informative 4

Context is critical.

Some of this may have been covered above, but here goes anyway.... :)

My method in the past has been to look through the appropriate 'Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology' volumes and write down every genus that is in the right age range. I also note the locations given for each genus. The states listed indicate which types are most likely to be found. There's a fair chance that a nearby college library will have a set of these Treatise volumes. Now that you have a list of genera, you can research them in various publications.

I also comb the publications of my local state geological survey as well as those in nearby states. These titles are likely listed online. I look for information on stratigraphic units as well as fossil types. If you're lucky, you may even find a study on the trilobites of some formation. Also, look through reference lists at the end of any publication that you are able to read. There always seems to be at least a couple references that look promising.

I would research the taxonomy of trilobites (or whichever fossil) to figure out the anatomical differences. With enough knowledge and practice, you'll get to the point where you can spot certain types -- or have a good idea -- with just a look at a partial piece.

1-GoodPostAnimated_zps8f9a936c.gif

Edited by Indy
  • I found this Informative 1

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

My recommendation is to get all of them! :ninja::o:P

Since that's not practical for most folks I agree with the suggestion to narrow the publication search to a specific region and topic of interest. In this instance the Ordovician trilobites of the Midwest is a good starting point including illinois, Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. As your database and collection grows, similar aged trilobite faunas from other regions in North America and around the world can and should be investigated. Please send me a PM with email address and I will be happy to send you an excellent set of Midwest Ordovician trilobite publications for your research.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

... Please send me a PM with email address and I will be happy to send you an excellent set of Midwest Ordovician trilobite publications for your research...

Piranha is truly a wealth of resources and information and is more than happy to help with needed publications.

He is an excellent ambassador for the TFF, well deserving of the "MOTM" banner.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Fossil Forum Trilobite Lovers,

what references/resources do you use to identify trilobite fragments? Besides Caleb's photo gallery at midwestpaleo and the Dry Dredgers site, what would you recommend?

What is really helpful are photos of trilo parts labeled in the matrix against which to compare one's own find. I am wondering if this is worth a separate thread for my fellow newbies- one where people post photos identifying molts and parts in situ, thought anyone?

thanks

Penny

I understand where you're coming from ...

Just compare trilobite fragments in matrix to pictures of trilobite fragments

in matrix to find identifications. However, that kind of massive

extensive photo resource of trilobite fragments in matrix doesn't exist

and never will.

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Piranha is truly a wealth of resources and information and is more than happy to help with needed publications.

He is an excellent ambassador for the TFF, well deserving of the "MOTM" banner.

There is no embargo on knowledge here at TFF. Thanks for the nice comments! :fistbump:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Scott,etal, thanks for getting this post off to a good start. More suggestions and sites are most welcome from our forum citizenry.