Pliocene Yorktown Formation

Fat Boy

Here is what I found from 1/2 through 1/4 AM on my weekend getaway trip. Most of these fossils are probably from the Yorktown Formation, but they are beach combing fossils, so it's possible that they're from a different formation. Anyway, my daughter and I teamed up to find these and had a nice weekend. Most of the good stuff was found on the first day, but the meg came on the last day, the bison tooth on day 2. There were a lot more nice bone fragments but I was too lazy to gather them all up, so I picked up the ones that interested me the most. A few of these items collected are in in the fossil ID section too. Enjoy!

Sharks and Ray Fossils (mostly?)

gallery_907_308_91974.jpg

Assorted marine mammal bone fragments

gallery_907_308_33609.jpg

Shells and other

gallery_907_308_19015.jpg

Deer Coprolites (LOL, modern day)

gallery_907_308_70675.jpg

Had high hopes for this one...

gallery_907_308_7610.jpg

But here's what it turned out to be:

gallery_907_308_3629.jpg

Typical beach stuff that you have to examine to find teeth...very difficult...lots of good shell fossils though.

gallery_907_308_17489.jpg

I didn't find these, but were on the property that we visited (I already asked, he won't sell them, LOL):

gallery_907_308_77301.jpg

Same verts, but to show you the size:

gallery_907_308_26363.jpg

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil
Well done!

nice finds, i have had that meg thing happen a little over 100 times, do you want to know the only thing worse than what happened to you? Its whe you start to dig out the tooth to only find out its broken!

nice finds, i have had that meg thing happen a little over 100 times, do you want to know the only thing worse than what happened to you? Its whe you start to dig out the tooth to only find out its broken!

Yeah, it's a bummer. But I know that some day I'll see the same thing and pull out a nice meg that way because every dog has his day, right? At least I know that they are possible to find there. I found a small meg there last year (will post a pic soon).

Kevin Wilson

Looks like ya'll had a good trip, thanks for posting pictures.

Yeah, it was a great time. Too bad it had to end. We left two hours late because I just couldn't leave the beach, LOL. As far as pics go, heck it's my pleasure. I spend a lot of time reading others post and enjoying their pics, allowing me to be on a virtual trip with them, so it's the least I can do in return for y'all.

I wanna go back but I'm broke now, LOL!

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil
Yeah, it's a bummer. But I know that some day I'll see the same thing and pull out a nice meg that way because every dog has his day, right? At least I know that they are possible to find there. I found a small meg there last year (will post a pic soon).

yea i always picture myself walking up to what I think will be a broken tooth, laughing thinking to myself that it is broken and pull out one that is complete.

Oh, I also found these that I inadvertantly left out of the finds pics:

I posted in the fossil ID section, and the overall opinion was that this may be a Bison tooth which would be my first ever and perhaps the best find of my trip!

gallery_907_308_27380.jpg

And this specimen that bmore and Toothpuller ID'd for me as shark cartilage, another good find for me, my second piece found from that location.

gallery_907_308_4622.jpg

Thanks everyone for their input on my ID requests!

Kevin Wilson

• 3 years later...

nice makos dude

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.