Isistius Teeth

old bones

Here are the two Cookie cutter teeth I found last night in jcbshark's Florida matrix. The large one is very nice and I am so pleased with it. :)

What is the story on the tiny one? Do Cookie cutter sharks have symphyseal teeth? Is that what this one is?

post-13648-0-71458100-1400111989_thumb.jpg

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

That would be an epic find if it was a sympheseal cookie cutter! But im not sure if they had them....

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Your small cookie cutter is from the very back of the mouth.

Edited by Al Dente

Isistius does have a symphyseal tooth position. The symphyseal tooth looks like the others but has a groove on both sides of the tooth where the teeth on either side overlap it. Here is a picture of one (unfortunately the root is partially missing) along with two posterior tooth positions.

post-2301-0-23536200-1400150738_thumb.jpg

and here is a more typical tooth from Lee Creek.

post-2301-0-05206500-1400150805_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Isistius does have a symphyseal tooth position. The symphyseal tooth looks like the others but has a groove on both sides of the tooth where the teeth on either side overlap it. Here is a picture of one (unfortunately the root is partially missing) along with two posterior tooth positions.

attachicon.gifIsistius.medial and laterals.small.jpg

and here is a more typical tooth from Lee Creek.

attachicon.gifIsistius.small.jpg

Thank you for the excellent information and photos. I will have to have a look at my other Isistius teeth to see if any have the grooves on both sides. The posterior tooth is distinctive, I won't miss that again.

Julianna

Isistius lower teeth interlock and supposedly are shed as a group. Yet you don't find a lot of posteriors. I have over 250 Isistius teeth from four sites, 3 in the US and 1 in Morocco, and don't have a single posterior tooth. So yours is a very nice find.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Julianna

Isistius lower teeth interlock and supposedly are shed as a group. Yet you don't find a lot of posteriors. I have over 250 Isistius teeth from four sites, 3 in the US and 1 in Morocco, and don't have a single posterior tooth. So yours is a very nice find.

Marco Sr.

Wow, Marco Sr., I had no idea that they were that uncommon. Thanks for letting me know how special this one is. :D

Congrats Julianna, what a beautiful find! I've never seen one of the posteriors before.I'm glad you've been able to find so much neat stuff in there, thanks for sharing! :DI really need to take Marcos advice and try to sift some finer mesh and see if anyone can pull an upper out of there.

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Congrats Julianna, what a beautiful find! I've never seen one of the posteriors before.I'm glad you've been able to find so much neat stuff in there, thanks for sharing! :DI really need to take Marcos advice and try to sift some finer mesh and see if anyone can pull an upper out of there.

Thank you Jeff! I am ever so pleased with these. :D This has been exciting! Maybe you should try the finer screen. Who knows what could be in the really tiny matrix.

Jeff

An upper would be very rare and an extraordinary find. I don't know if even .5mm mesh would catch them. The uppers are really tiny in comparison to the lowers. However, if you go much smaller in mesh size you will capture so much debris it probably would take forever to search the matrix. Even .5mm matrix is very time consuming to search. However, there are multiple folks here on TFF, who would search some of that really fine matrix, including myself, for the chance of finding just one. Because the lowers are so common in your matrix, if the Isistius shed uppers versus swallowing them and they did fossilize, your matrix would be a great matrix to search for one.

Marco Sr.

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

When fall rolls around and I'm able to collect some more matrix Marco I would be happy to do a special batch for you and Julianna if you'd like to try to search the really small stuff. Where would I be able to get a screen like that( would window screen work?) Right now all I do is put it thru a metal colander .It would be ideal if I could just get the sand out, that's the bottom make-up out there :) I'm so glad that I can help some fellow hunters get their fix lol

When fall rolls around and I'm able to collect some more matrix Marco I would be happy to do a special batch for you and Julianna if you'd like to try to search the really small stuff. Where would I be able to get a screen like that( would window screen work?) Right now all I do is put it thru a metal colander .It would be ideal if I could just get the sand out, that's the bottom make-up out there :) I'm so glad that I can help some fellow hunters get their fix lol

Jeff

Sounds great. Window screen would be too large a mesh size. You can purchase .5mm sieves but they are way too expensive. I use either very fine flour sifts or aquarium sieves that are .4mm (400um) from e-bay. You can check out the flour sifts in local thrift stores. The mesh size of fine flour sifts can be as small as .5mm but as large as 1mm+ so you have to measure them. 1mm would be too large. I really like the aquarium sieves because they fit over a 5 gallon bucket and are great for washing matrix at home. I normally use a ,5mm fine flour sift in the field because I don't like lugging 5 gallon buckets around and prefer to take out gallon baggies of fine sifted material in my back pack. But the 400um sieve would work great in the field with a 5 gallon bucket. See the below link to e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-400um-Fits-Bucket-Plankton-Filter-Sieve-pods-Copepod-Rotifer-Shrimp-Screen-/161269974236?pt=Live_Fish&hash=item258c7084dc

Marco Sr.

We really need an emoticon of 'rubbing hands together'! lol. Sounds like I'll need to invest in a microscope! My 3x magnifying glass isn't going to cut it on matrix that small.

Thanks for the info Marco, I'll make that happen when I get back down there! :)