San Antonio/glen Rose: Coral? Burrows?

Piedras_de_Tejas

Here are some pics of an odd tube-like fossil i found on my first trip to the glen rose formation. if it helps, i found them in a layer packed with bivalve casts just a foot or two above a layer full of leptosalenia and heart urchins. I'm not sure if they're coral, burrows, or some type of stem, but I haven't a clue :wacko: Anyone recognize these? My guess right now is some type of burrow...

post-15435-0-13293500-1402207454_thumb.png

post-15435-0-81080900-1402207456_thumb.png

Cameron C. B)

"The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing" - Albert Einstein

Your guess is mine as well. The largest one shows the pellet-texture of shrimp burrows.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks Auspex, don't think i've ever found these before.

Cameron C. B)

"The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing" - Albert Einstein

Burrows are fairly common in the Glen Rose. Auspex was right to point out the "pellet" texture in that large one. Crustaceans like ghost shrimp(?) sometimes made little balls of mud to strtengthen their burrows if the substrate was soft. Thye name for that type of ichno (trace) fossil is Lophiomorpha. Most burrows are hard to pin down to who made them but Lophiomorpha is easil;y identified as being from a crustacean since those critters still do this today.

or Ophiomorpha? Also used to b called Halymenites if it's the same trace I'm thinking of

• 2 weeks later...

or Ophiomorpha? Also used to b called Halymenites if it's the same trace I'm thinking of

Yes, duh. Phat finger typing... Ophiomorpha

Thanks for all the great info y'all :). Come to think of it i've encountered semi-cylindrical traces like this before, but i never knew what they were until the texture on these spiked my interest enough to make this post. Common or not, i haven't collected anything similar, so they are joining the rest of my "keep".

Cameron C. B)