Hello From San Antonio

Tguiri

I love finding and collecting fossils and interesting rocks. I have had good luck here in San Antonio. It seems like I find something every time I look.

I found this one yesterday in north northwest San Antonio and am looking to identify it and figure an approximate age. The rock is about 3 inches wide and 4 inches long.

Any ideas?

'There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.

- Ernest Hemingway

welcome from NY :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Welcome to the Forum :)

Here is a quick tutorial on the steps to attach an image: LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

post-17707-0-60546500-1425166084_thumb.jpg

'There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.

- Ernest Hemingway

Wow, that is strange looking! Good job with the image.

My best guess is that it might be layered flow-stone, from out of the Edwards karst.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Welcome to the forum! Looks like a Hard Coral or Stony Coral...

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Welcome to the forum! Looks like a Hard Coral or Stony Coral...

Yeah looks like it to me too.

Could be flow stone too though.

Either way nice specimen.

Oh, welcome from a fellow Texan.

Jess B.

Other angles and textures on the same piece.

post-17707-0-80528500-1425182137_thumb.jpg

post-17707-0-50671000-1425182143_thumb.jpg

post-17707-0-90576600-1425182149_thumb.jpg

- Ernest Hemingway

Now that you've posted the other angles, it's clear to see that you've found a coral.

Coralites! I agree. :)

Nope! they're all wrong. It's a fragment of a large rudist. Durania sp. being a prime suspect. I have a similar specimen from the Austin Group. Had me confused until I ran into a drawing in one of the guidebooks. Look at this: http://oceansofkansas.com/Invertebrates/EPC-1992-88b.jpg

Oh, and welcome, welcome, welcome to this most fabulous Forum!

Keep the pics coming,

Erich

Those sneaky rudists!

Just by the way. Who's that cute little person that's standing in for you?

My little 3 year old...

- Ernest Hemingway

Nope! they're all wrong. It's a fragment of a large rudist. Durania sp. being a prime suspect. I have a similar specimen from the Austin Group. Had me confused until I ran into a drawing in one of the guidebooks. Look at this: http://oceansofkansas.com/Invertebrates/EPC-1992-88b.jpg

Oh, and welcome, welcome, welcome to this most fabulous Forum!

Keep the pics coming,

Erich

Thank you Erich

- Ernest Hemingway

But if it is a Rudist Durania What about this veiny leaf-like structure in the above image?

- Ernest Hemingway

I'm not contesting that it is marine in origen

- Ernest Hemingway

Rudist

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

But if it is a Rudist Durania What about this veiny leaf-like structure in the above image?

That is a pattern found on the very upper surface of the lower valve. Rudists are very strange versions of bivalves (clams, oysters, etc.) that looked totally different than what you would expect from that group of animals. Do a little research and you will see they were big and small and often formed huge reefs. They also went extinct at the end of the Cretaceous.