Turtle shell piece, and maybe a bone or tooth piece found in Missouri.

Raistlin

I found these on a sandbank of the Mississippi river in Missouri. I am not sure where they washed from so I cannot begin to help with age. I found them while gathering pet wood pieces.

The turtle shell piece.

Wt7J4Ka.jpg

Wt7J4Ka.jpg

IsgpwE7.jpg

q17NThz.jpg

mcXpCxL.jpg

LYAMwHi.jpg

The tooth/bone piece.

Looking at it under a scope I am not seeing pores like I do in either bone or wood. It is heavy for its size and hard/brittle appearing. It seems to have a darker coating than what is on the inside.

aiielpv.jpg

m7TJsFp.jpg

4zcsWqA.jpg

rN8QLVV.jpg

KpxyyoA.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Not all petrified wood has visible porous material in it. In fact about 90% of the wood I find in my Cretaceous sites not far from you have this exact color and appearance, which are usually just denser parts of the tree.

For now, I would say that the second piece is petrified wood, suggestively shaped as bone.

The first is definitely turtle shell.

I am hoping that someone will recognize the turtle shell piece and be able to give me an idea of possible age and what it might be from.

As for the bone/tooth thing the wood I have found in the same area all seems to have visible cell structure. Of course this might have washed from a different area and might just be a different type as well so I am not sure I can just rely on that. It does though seem to have two distinct layers that I have never seen before. It is definitely broken. The idea of it being bone was only because of shape. The thought of it being broken tooth belonging to something was because the outside layer sort of looked like worn enamel with less shine and it seems to have an inner layer.

Robert
Southeast, MO

After giving it some thought I guess I should clarify more on the cell structure thing.

I can see growth lines whether it be bone, wood, or tooth )not sure tooth would have growth lines) and longitudinal lines (possibly cells) but no end cells. I do see a few darker spots but they are not like any sort of cell structure I have ever seen and there are only 3-4 that I count.

If it is wood, is it possible it is maybe root structure or limb or something of that nature?

Robert
Southeast, MO

I would say it likely to either be a branch piece or a piece from the core of the tree, where the thick cell-like tubules are not so large as to be easily seen. The different color on the outside is probably due to tannins from the river leaking into the rock over time. This is the case for all of the wood I find. Enamel is generally very thin, and very shiny, which is not the case for this item.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say worn piece of tooth is more plausible than fossil wood.

Any fossil wood found at that locality?

Is it even possible for wood and bone to be fossilized under the same conditions, looking that much alike?
I've seen fossil fish and coal plant imprints on the same slab, or crinoids on a coal tree trunk but...
Anyone able to instruct me on this, please do

looks like bone to me with the porous portion eroded or rotted away, no pores so difficult to say with certainty