Port Jervis NY Area Lower Devonian Reef Specimen

GordonC

This just from the Manlius Thatcher member (in the Helderberg Group) near Port Jervis NY.

I'll call it a stromatoporoid, see the side view of the finely striated specimen. post-19845-0-89824900-1445438877_thumb.jpg

The top view shows scattered pores, a couple near the edge can be seen to pass through the stromatoporoid. (The pores are not attacked by muriatic acid and so are thought to be of silica.)post-19845-0-00266400-1445438896_thumb.jpg The bottom of the piece contains a layer of the pore material , also seen in the side view.post-19845-0-73847900-1445438913_thumb.jpg I'm surmising that the pores and the stromatoporoid are different organisms. If so it appears that this stromatoporoid host grew on top of a similar assemblage. (Standard size paper clip in photos). ID or comments please.

sounds right

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Are you sure it has no reaction to acid, or could it be a less vigorous reaction ? My thought is that dolomitization would perhaps be less likely to fill holes (essentially mold fossils) than silica.