Cordaite (Artisia) Pith?

icycatelf

Found this the other day while walking around the yard. The back of it resembles some Artisia pith casts some of you helped me ID before, but the front looks a lot more clean and interesting. The photos really don't do it justice.

9alD7kX.jpg

The rock is about 2.25" long (diagonally), 1.25" wide, and rougly 0.75" thick. The cylinder shape is 1.25" long.

Here are a couple more things I posted before but never got an ID on (besides the last, but I closed the thread before I got much feedback) if anyone wants to give 'em a try:

A. Lepidodendron?

fK2xr93.jpg

B. Calamite?
ftw8KVc.jpgaLDIMVU.jpg

C. Nodule?
tacIvix.jpg

D. Water worn slate?
TZvwF33.jpg

Edited by icycatelf

Casual surface-collector and Pokémon fan. QPn3FY1.gif

And a lovely one it is!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

And a lovely one it is!

Any idea what that is "wrapping around" it? Is that part of the matrix or part of the Cordaite itself?

I think it is part of the surrounding tree.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think Auspex is right. That could be something like this: post-17588-0-96020100-1450383885_thumb.jpg Reconstruction of a trunk of Cordaites. After Seward, 1917.
The petrified pith-cast is called Artisia.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Very cool. Thanks a bunch. :)

Also, not sure if I should ask this here, but when referring to a singular fossil whose scientific name end with "s," do you drop the "s" or keep it? (For example, Calamites and Cordaites vs Calamite and Cordaite.) I've seen it used both ways, but I'd like to know which is more correct. Additionally, what is the correct pronunciation for Calamites? Google says CAL-UH-MITES, but a fossil pronunciation key I saw on another site says CAL-UH-MY-TEEZ.

I think when the 's' is part of the name it stays on there no matter the quantity.

I also have trouble knowing the correct pronunciation of both Cordaites and Calamites. Would be glad to hear from others on that :)

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

I'd go with CAL-UH-MY-TEEZ and COR-DAY-TEEZ as did my university lecturers.

Edited by TqB

Tarquin      image.png.b7b2dcb2ffdfe5c07423473150a7ac94.png  image.png.4828a96949a85749ee3c434f73975378.png  image.png.6354171cc9e762c1cfd2bf647445c36f.png  image.png.06d7471ec1c14daf7e161f6f50d5d717.png

Thanks! I'll probably go with CAL-UH-MY-TEEZ and COR-DAY-TEEZ unless I hear otherwise.

I know scientific names are written in Latin, so out of curiosity, I looked up how to pronounce Latin. Here are the pronunciations I came up with, although I'm not sure if the site was accurate or if I used it correctly:

Calamites: KAH-LAH-MIT-ESS

Cordaites: KAWRR-DAH-EET-ESS

As I learned, for a better communication and clear understanding anywhere in the world, in the domain of science, the scientific names of extinct or extant organisms should be used in the original designated Latin name and should be pronounced in that language. These Latin names are binomial (sometimes trinomial).The first part is the genus (pl.genera), the second part the species (pl. species). The genus name is always capitalized, the species name is never capitalized; both are always italicized or underlined. Also the family names required to be italicized. The names like in the exemples in question (Calamites, Cordaites, Belemnites, etc.) should be used with the "s", without this they could be common names (Calamite, Cordaite, Belemnite or Belemnit). Common names should be capitalized, but never italicized.
The correct pronunciation should be CA-LA-MI-TES, COR-DA-I-TES.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I agree with Abyssunder that classical Latin pronunciation is commonly taught that way, using the simplest possible phonetics.

Unfortunately, scientific Latin pronunciation varies around the world as mentioned at the beginning of this guide:

http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/plants/plantsystematics/botnames.html

It's probably more common to lengthen the pronunciation of -es to -eez but neither should get you in trouble!

Edited by TqB

Tarquin      image.png.b7b2dcb2ffdfe5c07423473150a7ac94.png  image.png.4828a96949a85749ee3c434f73975378.png  image.png.6354171cc9e762c1cfd2bf647445c36f.png  image.png.06d7471ec1c14daf7e161f6f50d5d717.png

The ending "ites" is used a lot in latin names. I think it has the meaning of "similar looking".

One of the plants that I've been working with was called Danaeites. So meant "similar looking to the Danae ferns".

Cordaites would mean similar to a cord or rope.

Calamites would mean similar to a reed (Calam means reed).

And Belemnites would mean looks like a dart (Belemn means dart in latin).

Edited by Stocksdale
  • I found this Informative 1

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan