Three Toed Horse tooth ID

Fossil Claw

I received this tooth in trade and want to identify the right species. 1.5 inches long.

It was found in a creek in Venice, Sarasota county Florida.

Thank you

post-16815-0-22025200-1452254450_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fossil Claw

• 3 weeks later...

I know that the details on the occlusal view of horse teeth is important in identifying them, so I brightened your photo to aid in ID. :)

post-13648-0-86511000-1454160543_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

The most obvious characteristic used when identifying what are called "three toed horses" are the enamel ridges on the top surface. A round feature of the upper molars called an "isolated protocone" is usually present with the late Miocene and Pliocene horses. Note: attached example

Your tooth has plenty of wear so it's tough distinguishing the exact patterns. Size doesn't necessarily mean a lot because during the Pliocene and early and mid Pleistocene eras horses varied a lot in size from small pony to full modern horse size.

post-10605-0-12690800-1454194616_thumb.jpg

Edited by jpevahouse

Here is the good news - you have a 3toed horse upper molar. They are HARD to find because they go back 2-5 mya versus Equus which is far more recent.

Here is the bad news There were LOTS of them, and identification is not all that easy...

Here is a thread where I identified mine find:
http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/60493-sloths-and-3toed/

If you are interested enough , go read this. Bruce McFadden's Systematics and phylogeny of Hipparion, Neohipparion, Nannippus, and Cormohipparion (Mammalia, Equidae) from the Miocene and Pliocene of the New World. Bulletin of the AMNH; v. 179, article 1

You are likely need a much clearer photo to send to http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/vertpaleo/amateur-collector/fossil-id and have it successfully identified. That is what I did for :post-2220-0-31543200-1454198619_thumb.jpg

You should measure in mm the length width and breadth. width and breadth at the chewing surface. This tooth is Upper tooth 48.67x15.34x11.25 mm. Length is 1.92 inches

Edited by Shellseeker
  • I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Identifying horses by isolated teeth is 'iffy' at best...even if you consult an 'expert'. I can't tell from your pictures if your tooth has an isolated protocone or not. If it does, then it is NOT Equus. If it doesn't, then it is likely one of the hipparionines (Miocene of Pliocene).

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Identifying horses by isolated teeth is 'iffy' at best...even if you consult an 'expert'. I can't tell from your pictures if your tooth has an isolated protocone or not. If it does, then it is NOT Equus. If it doesn't, then it is likely one of the hipparionines (Miocene of Pliocene).

-Joe

Might as well be speaking greek to me! no idea what a protcone is!

Here is the good news - you have a 3toed horse upper molar. They are HARD to find because they go back 2-5 mya versus Equus which is far more recent.

Here is the bad news There were LOTS of them, and identification is not all that easy...

Here is a thread where I identified mine find:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/60493-sloths-and-3toed/

If you are interested enough , go read this. Bruce McFadden's Systematics and phylogeny of Hipparion, Neohipparion, Nannippus, and Cormohipparion (Mammalia, Equidae) from the Miocene and Pliocene of the New World. Bulletin of the AMNH; v. 179, article 1

You are likely need a much clearer photo to send to http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/vertpaleo/amateur-collector/fossil-id and have it successfully identified. That is what I did for :attachicon.gifRSCN2081.jpg

You should measure in mm the length width and breadth. width and breadth at the chewing surface. This tooth is Upper tooth 48.67x15.34x11.25 mm. Length is 1.92 inches

Thanks for the tips. I will check out these references.

Sorry...a protocone is one of the features of many types of animal teeth. In Hipparion-type horses, the protocone is often isolated (separated) from the other main sections of the tooth's occlusal (chewing) surface. In Equus, the protocone is attached to the other main parts of the tooth.

gallery_330_106_1688.jpg

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Just for the record, This little circular ridge at center bottom of the tooth is called a protocone, and the fact that it is not connected to any of the ridges near it, means that it is isolated. So Isolated Protocone, a positive identification of a group of 3toed horses.post-2220-0-90219600-1454216542_thumb.jpg

Nice Addition and explanation, Joe

Edited by Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Here is a thread where I identified mine find:http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/60493-sloths-and-3toed/

You are likely need a much clearer photo to send to http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/vertpaleo/amateur-collector/fossil-id and have it successfully identified. That is what I did for :attachicon.gifRSCN2081.jpg

I l [ked at the references and u am still not sure. Here is a better picture.

The portion of the chewing surface with the protocone seem a little worn and it's hard to see it.

post-16815-0-92286100-1454247605_thumb.jpg

The isolated protocone seen on the upper molars of early horses is contrary to the protoloph found on the upper molars of later equus species horses. The difference is the protoloph is not isolated but connected to the other ridges. The isolated photocone does not always appear on the molars of early horses.

The horse has a very long and complex ancestry with many, many branches. The hipparion horses have the isolated protocone. Identification can be general at best and difficult to determine to exact species. I'll leave that to scientists with much more training and experience than myself.

I've always hesitated to use the term "three toed horse" for the late Miocene and Pliocene horses because they walked on a single large toe. By that time the two small side toes were atrophied and unused. There were few true three toed horses that used all three toes. They lived mainly in the Oligocene and early Miocene eras.

Example of an equus upper molar.

post-10605-0-72289600-1454257079_thumb.jpg

Edited by jpevahouse

Fossil Claw, It might be Equus as jpevahouse indicates, or it could be cormohipparion, or Calippus or ?? What are the measurements (length & width) of the chewing surface? Here is a Thread on Callippus:http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/46940-three-toed/. Here is a drawing from McFadden on Cormohipparrion:

post-2220-0-31543300-1454270881_thumb.jpg

Compare your tooth to row C 4th or 5th down the line.

Exact measurements would really help and you will need them to send it in for Identification. Shellseeker