pyrite fossils

gilthead

Pyrite disease can be a serious problem; besides having your pyrite fossils turn to dust, the sulfuric acid released will damage anything else nearby.

There have been several discussions on the Forum about mitigating this; here is one of them: LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Pyrite disease can be a serious problem; besides having your pyrite fossils turn to dust, the sulfuric acid released will damage anything else nearby.

There have been several discussions on the Forum about mitigating this; here is one of them: LINK

thanks Auspex

at the moment I keep all my pyrite fossils in the same box is it advisable to separate them

thanks Auspex

...it advisable to separate them

Yes; once one starts to go, it will accelerate and spread throughout.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

not the best way but it works, I used clear shellac . Will not come off easy. I have 40 year old specimens still looking like the day I collected them. Not advised for un-pyritized fossils.

• I found this Informative 1

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

A mixture of cellulose laquer (we call it Zaponlack in Germany) and acetone is also used by many. It doesn't last forever so the process has to be repeated every few years. Just make sure that the fossils are first cleaned and then are absolutely dry before you coat them.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

here is one that is 45 years old ( +350 million).

post-2520-0-29394700-1453403659_thumb.jpg

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

As I understand, not all pyrite decomposes/rots/decays, the kind of pyrite that breaks down chemically when exposed to oxygen and/or water is marcasite. It has a slightly different structure. Oddly Marcasite is the name jewelers use for pyrite jewelry. sounds more exotic, less scientific?

Of the pyrite pieces I have collected (fossils or minerals), only those from the Buffalo area (a creek east of Buffalo) has begun to show the "decay". Some of it was already in that stage when I pulled it out of the ground. I was warned it would happen and immediately stored the pieces in a (hopefully) airtight container containing the silica packet. Some of them began to show visible signs of decay later anyway. All those decomposing I keep separated.

I have collected pyrite fossils from NW Ohio (have one like Herb's) and nodules from the Indianapolis area and they have never shown a hint of decomposition. None of 'em. I collected these at least 5 years before I heard about the decay/rot process so I never did anything to them other than the regular prep process.

These I keep in either a wall display case or cabinet drawer in my family room with no special coating or container. They do tarnish over time, losing their shine. When that happens and I have the time I give them a quick wash with Comet, water and a toothbrush. it was suggested I do this by a member of my Gem and Mineral club who'd been collecting for nearly 50 years. They shine right back up. I've been doing this for over 10 years with no visible ill effects.

Edited by hrguy54

marcasite is a lot more likely to degrade. A spray of WD 40 will help some