Fossils from Bavaria (Part 1)

belemniten

Last weekend i was two days in Bavaria and collect in 4 quarries. Two quarries, which i never visit before and two, which werent new for me ...

I decide to post the finds of each quarry in a single topic that i dont have time pressure ;)

The first day i was in the quarry Mistelgau (clay pit) near Bayreuth.

I am sry that i dont have pictures of the quarry but it was rainy, so i couldnt take pictures there ....

I found many small ammonites (around 1-6 cm):

DSCN1568.JPG

I am not sure with ID (i appreciate any help!) ....

Some detailed pictures of the nice ones:

Maybe Pleydellia (?) Size: 2.6 cm

DSCN1519.JPG

Nice structure on this one ("Lobenlinien") Size: 2.5 cm

DSCN1515.JPG

A bigger one with 4 cm: (Cotteswoldia ??)

DSCN1516.JPG

And a very small one (1.2 cm) ...

Maybe Ccallyphylloceras ??

DSCN15188.JPG

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Another nice one .... I think it could be also Pleydellia,  but i am not sure.

Size: 3.5  cm

DSCN1517.JPG

And minerals on one of the bigger ammonites .... (5.5 cm long)

DSCN1550.JPG

There were also lots of belemnits, but i didnt collect that many examples. 

Here are some:

DSCN1571.JPG

A 15 cm long Acrocoelites:

DSCN1572.JPG

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

And a 20 cm long "Belemnitenschlachtfeld" (belemnite battle field) ... i couldnt find better pieces :(

DSCN1548.JPG

I personally was very happy with this three gastropods ....

They are all not big (about 1.5 cm long),  but the details are nice :)

Amphitrochus (?)

DSCN1536.JPG

I know this arent special finds and i am also not very happy with them, but because of the bad weather i was only 1 hour there (and i was completely wet).

But for this ammonites i will find a nice place in my collection ... :)

DSCN1573.JPG

Thanks for viewing ... hope you enjoy !

• I found this Informative 1

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

15 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

What a fantastic haul for a couple of days Sebastian!

Thanks John ! This is only the haul of the visit in Mistelgau (1 hour) :PB)

The other finds i will post soon ... 

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

3 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

One hour?!  :faint:

Yes .... i wanted to search more but it was so rainy that i was completely wet after 1 minute outside. 

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Ausgezeichnet!  I wish that I had been old enough to go fossil hunting on my own when I lived in München (back in the late 1960s).  I know...I know...I'm surprised that I'm not part of one of the fossil quarries myself! :ighappy:

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

28 minutes ago, belemniten said:

Yes .... i wanted to search more but it was so rainy that i was completely wet after 1 minute outside. 

Ah, a 'fair weather' collector then :P Some people have no stamina!

1 hour ago, Fruitbat said:

Ausgezeichnet!  I wish that I had been old enough to go fossil hunting on my own when I lived in München (back in the late 1960s).  I know...I know...I'm surprised that I'm not part of one of the fossil quarries myself! :ighappy:

-Joe

Thanks ! It's really a great place for collecting ... too bad that I have a "long" travel time so I can only search about three or four times a year there ...

By the way your German is ausgezeichnet ! :dinothumb:

56 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Ah, a 'fair weather' collector then :P Some people have no stamina!

I want to see you 2 days digging in clay quarries while constant rain :D

13 minutes ago, Barerootbonsai said:

No such thing as bad weather, just improper dressed people lol.;).  Look fed to seeing the rest. These are fab. :popcorn:

Thanks ! I was appropriately dressed ... i think I can ditch my gumboots :headscratch:

I will need some time to take pictures and post the rest ... if you want I can give you the links when it's time :fistbump:

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

1 minute ago, JohnBrewer said:

I live in the wettest city in England and my local hunting ground is near where I live. :P

Mmh ok .... then you sure have more stamina than I ! But I am not envy ... i hate rain exspecially while collecting :ighappy:

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Nice finds Sebastian. I think you are correct on most identifications, only the 3.5cm. one is more probably a Cotteswoldia. They are generally the more strongly ribbed ones. The gastropod is probably Costatrochus subduplicatus. They are extremely common there.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

You did great at Mistelgau.  About a year ago, my wife and kid found little ammos like yours up on the ridge while I dug out belemnite slabs down low.  We only had a couple hours before running off to Buttenheim.  Wish we could return!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

8 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Nice finds Sebastian. I think you are correct on most identifications, only the 3.5cm. one is more probably a Cotteswoldia. They are generally the more strongly ribbed ones. The gastropod is probably Costatrochus subduplicatus. They are extremely common there.

Thanks Roger ! Very helpful ... excpecially the ID of the gastropod ! Maybe next time i can find more ...

7 hours ago, jpc said:

Nice stuff... I thought the Mistelgau quarry was closed to fossil collecting...?  

Thanks ! I also thought that but after i have seen this:
http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/58489-rolling-through-germany/

I decide to visit this quarry ... :)  (There is also a little "discussion" if collecting is allowed there or not ...)

4 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

Vielen Dank.  Ich wurde in Heidelberg geboren, aber ich habe nicht viele Chancen Deutsch hier in Texas zu sprechen.  Ihrer Englisch ist excellent!

-Joe

Wow ! Your german is brilliant ! Great that you remember so much .,.. 

Thanks for the compliment :dinothumb:

4 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

You did great at Mistelgau.  About a year ago, my wife and kid found little ammos like yours up on the ridge while I dug out belemnite slabs down low.  We only had a couple hours before running off to Buttenheim.  Wish we could return!

I saw your finds and they are stunning ! Your belemnite battle fields were great ... couldnt find something like that ^_^

I also want to return but i think in the near future its impossible ^^

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

belemniten .      It is a Scottish saying I believe. :D  Bummer you had all the gear on and still got wet.  It is deffinately on my map to visit.  I have been to Bavaria several times beautiful place.  I would love to get the links to see the others.  I live in south west England so it can be very wet. :D

5 hours ago, Barerootbonsai said:

belemniten .      It is a Scottish saying I believe. :D  Bummer you had all the gear on and still got wet.  It is deffinately on my map to visit.  I have been to Bavaria several times beautiful place.  I would love to get the links to see the others.  I live in south west England so it can be very wet. :D

I understand :D But why i always have to talk with english people about the bearable amount of rain :P

I will give you the links ... so expect a PM from me :dinothumb:

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Just continue digging in the excavations you find in the floor at the back of the pit, not deepening the holes, but widening them.  The "Belemnitenschlactfeldlager" is about 10-20 cm below the quarry floor.

Grüße,

44 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Just continue digging in the excavations you find in the floor at the back of the pit, not deepening the holes, but widening them.  The "Belemnitenschlactfeldlager" is about 10-20 cm below the quarry floor.

Thanks for the hint ! I will try it next time ...

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

2 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Dan, I know that your advice is well-meant, but that was the situation a few years ago. Nowadays it's just sort of tolerated that collectors poke around there, but they might get into trouble if they start digging the floor up again, so I wouldn't recommend trying that any more.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Dan, I know that your advice is well-meant, but that was the situation a few years ago. Nowadays it's just sort of tolerated that collectors poke around there, but they might get into trouble if they start digging the floor up again, so I wouldn't recommend trying that any more.

10-4, Rubber Ducky!  I'll just surface collect if I ever make it back to the area. 

Grüße,

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

55 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

10-4, Rubber Ducky!  I'll just surface collect if I ever make it back to the area. 

Ok thanks for the information ! 

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif