What is it?

PRK

Just ran across this interesting and unusual fossil. It's been in storage for over 40 years. I collected it on a 3 day field trip in my freshman year in college, and can't find its ID anywhere--- even google. Any help?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Before I zoomed in for a closeup I was thinking Horn coral. But upon closer inspection this appears to be something else. Can you tell where it was found, and the age of formation?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I'm wondering if couldn't be a rudist with the two valves still attached, like the one below.

basicplan.jpg

picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I don't know if the genus Coralliochama was reassigned or not, but it was reviewed, according to LOUIE MARINCOVICH, JR. 1975. MORPHOLOGY AND MODE OF LIFE OF THE LATE CRETACEOUS RUDIST, CORALLIOCHAMA ORCUTTI WHITE (MOLLUSCA: BIVALVIA). JOURNAL OF PALEONTOLOGY Vol. 49, No. 1, pp. 212-223.

Order HIPPURITOIDA Newell, 1965
Superfamily HIPPURITACEA Gray, 1848
Family CAPRINIDAE d'Orbigny, 1850
Genus CORALLIOCHAMA White, 1885
CORALLIOCHAMA ORCUTTI White, 1885

" Seven species have been placed in Coralliochama.
Muellerried (1932) reviewed the six species known to that time and concluded that only three of them were correctly included in Coralliochama: C. orcutti White, 1885, C. gboehmi Bose, 1906, and C. n. sp. Muellerried, 1931. The latter two species are known only from eastern Mexico. An additional species, C. flouriei Damestoy, 1965, was described from Punta Banda. Coralliochama flouriei is known from a single specimen given to Damestoy by G. Flourie, who visited Punta Banda, and it is obviously an extensively eroded young adult of C. orcutti and thus a junior synonym.
Damestoy's specimen is characterized by an abruptly truncated apex on the conical attached valve, and by details of its dentition as seen in a cross-section made approximately along the plane of commissure. However, truncation of the attached valve illustrated by Damestoy appears to be due to breakage rather than to natural growth, as is often the case with specimens of C. orcutti. The dentition shown by Damestoy does not differ from that described here for C. orcutti. " - as stated in the mentioned reference

"Coralliochama orcutti is the only rudist bivalve known at Punta Banda. Although this species is said to occur throughout several hundred feet of strata (Anderson and Hanna, 1935), it is found most abundantly in one bed 1.5 to 2 meters thick, in which the rudist shells form the bulk of the deposit. "

Coralliochama orcutti.jpg

Specimens of Coralliochama orcutti collected at Punta Banda, Mexico. All specimens from LACM locality 2505 unless stated otherwise.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

What you have is a really nice specimen. :)

Thomas Mann

My Library