Plesiosaur

Roz

I found this yesterday on a hunt at the North Sulphur River, which would be

coming out of the Ozan formation (pretty sure). I was wondering if it is possibly

the short neck type?

post-13-1203972822_thumb.jpg

post-13-1203972839_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Wow Roz, I'd consider that coffee can vert to be a find of a lifetime. And to think I talk down on the NSR because it gets so much collecting pressure!. Don Fagerstrom with the DPS might be able to help you with ID if nobody else can.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Beautiful! I'm still amazed that we've found two large verts at the NSR in areas where hundreds of people have hunted (both were found less than 300ft from one of the major bridges).

Are you sure it's a Mossasaur vert though? The ones I'm used to seeing are concave on one end and convex on the other. It looks more like the large fish vert that I found on my last visit, although mine was less than half the size!

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

Thanks MB, love finding reptile!!!

I thought it is a plesiosaur, but you think it might be fish?

Well, now I don't know which then.

Call me slow, Shady W, just figured out who you are... :)

Dan, I think I will email to find out which it is.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks Nicholas..

I just got an ID from Mike E. " It's a plesiosaur vertebrae, probably an elasmosaur from the proportions. Note the two nutritive foramina (openings) in the ventral side as shown in the first picture... The dorsal processes have been broken off.."

YIPEE, YAY that is what I was hoping cause I love that reptile!

Welcome to the forum!

Congrautations Roz! That is the largest vertebrae I have ever seen come off the NSR!

I found some mosasaur that size, but they came from Bear Creek. That looks like it came out recently. I would continue to keep going back to that area if I were you. Again. great find! :)

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Thanks MB, love finding reptile!!!

I thought it is a plesiosaur, but you think it might be fish?

Well, now I don't know which then.

Call me slow, Shady W, just figured out who you are... :)

Dan, I think I will email to find out which it is.

Whoa! That's weird... you may have figured out who I am... but who are you?!? :)

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

Whoa! That's weird... you may have figured out who I am... but who are you?!? :)

Well, I thought you were Wes? He is a hunter from Plano. He hunts there all the time..

Can u post a pic of the vert u found? Would love to see it!

********************************************************************************

Thanks Mike! I just wish it wasn't hours away

Welcome to the forum!

Well, I thought you were Wes? He is a hunter from Plano. He hunts there all the time..

Can u post a pic of the vert u found? Would love to see it!

********************************************************************************

Thanks Mike! I just wish it wasn't hours away

Nope, I'm not Wes. I'm Daniel, also from Plano. I should probably try and meet this Wes though! :)

I'm posting pics of my two NSR verts (one fish, one Plesiosaur) to my gallery now.

ShadyW, I emailed Wes last night and gave him the link to this site....

Thanks for posting your pics. I agree the one to the left is a fish. I am by no means an expert (so anyone please correct me if I am wrong), but it looks to me like the Xiphactinus audax. Do you have the book, "Fossil Collector's Guidebook to the North Sulphur River"? What I am looking at is Chapter 4 .. plate 10. I am not the best with Id's though.

Cool finds! I love river hunting!

There are some great books for Texas hunters, some are written by DPS members (Dallas Paleo Society).

Welcome to the forum!

• 14 years later...

Just wanted to confirm that this is indeed a plesiosaur vertebra, and quite a huge one at that! Awesome find! :default_clap2: As the axial face of the centrum looks round rather than kidney- or heart-shaped, I'd say there's a good chance this is a polycotylid vertebra, making this extra cool! :D

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett