michele 1937

Fossil mushroom ??
Found in France in the Quaternary (southern France).
30 years ago by a friend.
Measure cm.7 stem and cm. 11. hat.
It weighs 240 grams.
It appears to be impregnated with travertine.
Excuse my English

foto 002.jpg

foto 009.jpg

foto 029.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, michele 1937 said:

Found in France in the Quaternary

What does Quaternary mean in this context?

Indeed! And that´s also the key. Put in the right thermal water, everything can be coated quickly with calcium carbonate, forming travertine.

From wikipedia:

"Modern travertine is formed from geothermally heated supersaturated alkaline waters, with raised pCO2 (see partial pressure). On emergence, waters degas CO2 due to the lower atmospheric pCO2, resulting in an increase in pH. Since carbonate solubility decreases with increased pH, precipitation is induced."

Fossil mushroom ??

Technically not, its most probably much younger than 10.000 years. But shure, its an exocast of a mushroom! Thanks for sharing!

Franz Bernhard

Now there's something ya don't see every day :thumbsu:

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

18 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

What does Quaternary mean in this context?

Indeed! And that´s also the key. Put in the right thermal water, everything can be coated quickly with calcium carbonate, forming travertine.

From wikipedia:

"Modern travertine is formed from geothermally heated supersaturated alkaline waters, with raised pCO2 (see partial pressure). On emergence, waters degas CO2 due to the lower atmospheric pCO2, resulting in an increase in pH. Since carbonate solubility decreases with increased pH, precipitation is induced."

Technically not, its most probably much younger than 10.000 years. But shure, its an exocast of a mushroom! Thanks for sharing!

Franz Bernhard

I’m in agreement with Franz that it probably is a travertine exocast, but it seems to me that the mushroom would have to be in a certain zone for this to happen. If the mushroom was too close to a hot spring wouldn’t the environment be too harsh for it to survive? Too hot and/or too acidic. On the other hand, if it was too far away, all the minerals may have been deposited before reaching the mushroom. I think it would have had to be in an area where it could survive, but still get coated with enough minerals to create the exocast relatively quickly. Very fascinating! 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

6 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

If the mushroom was too close to a hot spring wouldn’t the environment be too harsh for it to survive? Too hot and/or too acidic. On the other hand, if it was too far away, all the minerals may have been deposited before reaching the mushroom. I think it would have had to be in an area where it could survive, but still get coated with enough minerals to create the exocast relatively quickly. Very fascinating! 

Agree! My implicit thought was, that someone has dropped it, perhaps intentionally, into a hot spring (like it was done with flowers etc. long time ago in Karlsbad, Czech Republic). Hence my question: "What does Quaternary mean in this context?"

Maybe @michele 1937 will give us more details? Many thanks!
Franz Bernhard

I'm in the sponge camp, probably I'm alone. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Agree! My implicit thought was, that someone has dropped it, perhaps intentionally, into a hot spring (like it was done with flowers etc. long time ago in Karlsbad, Czech Republic). Hence my question: "What does Quaternary mean in this context?"

Maybe @michele 1937 will give us more details? Many thanks!
Franz Bernhard

That was my first thought as well! That someone could have intentionally thrown it in. Here’s hoping for a few more details. :fingerscrossed:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

I'm in the sponge camp, probably I'm alone. :)

Hmmm... maybe... but it has the distinct mushroom shape and I see what look to be mushroom gills, especially in the last pic. What kind of sponge were you thinking?

16 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

Hmmm... maybe... but it has the distinct mushroom shape and I see what look to be mushroom gills, especially in the last pic. What kind of sponge were you thinking?

I'm unfamiliar with the geological settings and the possible fauna, but in my mind was something like Coeloptychium having a similar resemblance.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

7 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

I'm unfamiliar with the geological settings and the possible fauna, but in my mind was something like Coeloptychium having a similar resemblance.

I’m unfamiliar with the geology and fauna as well, but Coeloptychium does have a mushroom appearance like the specimen in question. Maybe someone familiar with the area will weigh in.

Thanks, @abyssunder, for the hint to Coeloptychium. I have seen it before, but not thought of it.... For reference, Nr. 9, from Fraas, 1910:

5d108dd8dfc4a_Schwmme_Fraas_1910.thumb.jpg.9b44ae76f2234ded4063e536511e5927.jpg

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 2

Fossil mushroom ??
Found in France in the Quaternary (southern France).
30 years ago from a friend
Measure cm.7 stem and cm. 11. hat.
It weighs 240 grams.
Excuse my English

And a mushroom.
Quaternary.
The friend is dead
The mushroom was given to me by his wife

On 6/24/2019 at 11:46 AM, FranzBernhard said:

Thanks, @abyssunder, for the hint to Coeloptychium. I have seen it before, but not thought of it.... For reference, Nr. 9, from Fraas, 1910:

Thanks Franz for your reference! That's what I was thought it could be. :)

Thomas Mann

My Library