HAINOSAURUS tooth real?

Praefectus

I was browsing online and found this tooth for sale. The seller says it belongs to hainosaurus and that it is from Ouled Abdoun, Morocco. I was wondering if this tooth was real and if it had any restoration to it. Also, can anyone verify the species? Thank you. 

5d1558265bbe9_mosa1.thumb.jpg.6844d31a5b8568b662da11dd5a11819c.jpg5d15582703305_mosa2.thumb.jpg.8c0b2d81071184fb1f2c0dff64dad11b.jpg5d15582793037_mosa3.thumb.jpg.ec2b9845f43c38e597eca5a654c76459.jpg5d1558282cd01_mosa4.thumb.jpg.214415454fc960e616f2357000f6124c.jpg

I’d say *they* were real at some point but it’s had quite a bit of work. I say they because those aren’t all the same tooth.D81CEC97-7F4E-42BE-BA0D-FC6A301A5237.thumb.jpeg.91897acdc10fac88068014dffdabd88c.jpeg

Seems like somebody had a heck of time figuring out how to use epoxy to me.

• I found this Informative 2

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Crown likely real, but the root seems a bit unnatural for a mosasaur tooth IMO.

I am also pretty sure that the identification is incorrect (Possibly an intentional misidentification for marketing). I have never heard of T. bernardi fossils outside of the Low Countries/surrounding areas. IMO, the tooth looks like a Mosasaurus beaugei to me.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Thanks for the replies. What is the purpose of the epoxy? Is it there to hold together multiple teeth in a composite or is it covering up a "bad" spot? 

This tooth is completely real. No compositing here.

It's a very nice big rooted tooth with no or little repair. That area that UtahFossilHunter circled is indeed glue. But this is just on the surface. What is likely is that the whole specimen has been stabilised with glue and that area just has a bit too much. This is pretty common on specimens where it has been stabilised in a hurry. The area around the gluey area has some damage where the enamel has gone.

It's clearly a single tooth crown because the other side looks immaculate.

The root is real as well. Though sadly the white area has been damaged or sanded down.

The join between the root and crown also shows the telltale signs that it's real. The little layering and pores and such. You don't get this kind of detail on composites.

Hainosaurus is not described in Morocco as far as I know. So it's likely a different mosasaur.

So yeah.

Completely real.

• I found this Informative 3

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Nice rooted tooth, overuse of wrong type of glue to stabilize the enamel like LordTrilobite mentioned. 

Like others have said ID is incorrect. 

@jnoun11

hi

its a tylosaurus tooth lower jaw to me .

more slender than baugei.

• I found this Informative 1

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...