Show Us Your Ammonite Pyrites

Terry Dactyll

Ive just finished prepping this 15" er .... and was quite supprised to find quite a bit of Pyrite (fools gold) attached to the ammonite around the outer whorl.... when it come to prepping pyritic fossils I did hear that inhaling the dust of iron pyrite can mix with moisture in your body and lungs and form an acid and cause quite a bit of discomfort.... so I made sure I wore my mask at all times fitted with decent organic filters.....has anyone else heard this ?....

I didnt know if the pyrite would show through to well after it was waxed so i took a photo of a section of it before to compare....considering the bad lighting due to the rain its come through ok....

and.... Please do show us your Pryite ammonites... Id love to see them.....

Coroniceras Charlsei 15"....Sinemurian... Lyme Regis

post-1630-12574219649002_thumb.jpg post-1630-12574219893307_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Ive only got two, but I really bought these for the rock as much as I did for the little ammos inside them. Very neato rocks. I found these at the Tucson show.

RB

post-171-12574272270787_thumb.jpg

post-171-12574272656688_thumb.jpg

post-171-12574273200261_thumb.jpg

post-171-12574273754059_thumb.jpg

Ive only got two, but I really bought these for the rock as much as I did for the little ammos inside them. Very neato rocks. I found these at the Tucson show.

RB

Very nice RB! :wub:

Tracer... Glad we have someone who understands the chemisty involved... I did hear one guy severely burnt inside his lungs....

Lance & Crinus.... Beautiful specimens....

RJB... I dont know if you have an ID for those but they are Eleganticeras elegans, from Whitby North Yorkshire....heres a link to the guy that usually preps and sells them, but looking through his stock he appears to be sold out.... I wonder why lol....

http://www.yorkshirecoastfossils.co.uk/pyrite%20nods.htm

Edited by Terry Dactyll

From Charmouth, England. Jurassic.

Crucibiloceras? sp. I gave up on the prepping.

post-45-12574321397837_thumb.jpg

Oxynoticeras sp. I hadn't noticed the space between the chambers was calcitic until the acid bath removed it.

post-45-12574321620341_thumb.jpg

I haven't got round to id'ing these.

post-45-12574321832604_thumb.jpg

Horton Clay Pit. Small Dole, England. Cretaceous, Gault Clay. These are quite small and unidentified.

post-45-12574320600853_thumb.jpg

post-45-12574325774417_thumb.jpg

post-45-12574324504021_thumb.jpg

post-45-12574320804143_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Wow!! Love em all. You Brits sure have some great stuff.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

having read up a bit now - pyrite dust is problematic in a number of ways besides acidification, including disease related to the iron side of things, and apparently explosion hazards too.

inasmuch as FeS2 is dealt with in an industrial capacity, you can find a plethora of info online concerning its hazards, including MSDS sheets.

Wow!! Love em all....

BFG, your'e only saying that to make me feel better after my Cut/polished posts. :blush:

Edited by Bill

KOF, Bill.

Tracer..... Good job I mentioned it.... pyrite crops up a lot in fossil collections, although I would imagine quite safe unless it is powederd down during prepping, when it becomes a inhalation problem....

Bill.... You second one is a Oxynoticeras... they look fantastic cut & polished... you probably think im taking the p--- now but im not. :D .. they have pyrite chamber walls and lime green calcitic infil.... I will start to hunt for one when Ive calmed down on collecting the big stuff....

Cheers Steve. No not at all, I have seen them cut/polished. Just not my cup of tea.........but I think you know that ;)

Edited by Bill

KOF, Bill.

BFG, your'e only saying that to make me feel better after my Cut/polished posts. :blush:

No, I meant what I said! In fact, after contemplating your side for a while I have decided not to cut open all my nautilods. Im going to leave the biggest as is and only have the medium sized one done. Im also going to stop giving them away!!

You really do have some wonderful specimens Bill.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Here is a sampling of multiple species of Upper Cretaceous, (late Turonian) Eagle Ford Formation ammonites from Texas.

post-420-12575411288406_thumb.jpg

post-420-12575411955174_thumb.jpg

post-420-12575412324454_thumb.jpg

post-420-12575412601816_thumb.jpg

post-420-12575412884154_thumb.jpg

post-420-12575413439257_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohnJ

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

post-420-12575412601816_thumb.jpg

I really like the tiny double on the penny!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I really like the tiny double on the penny!

yeah, you win the most ephemeral collection award. it's a statue of a guy fixin' to sneeze.

post-1313-12575494601353_thumb.jpg

Plueroceras spinatus

Lias Formation(Jurrasic)

Unterstuermig, Germany

Be true to the reality you create.

I found some of the tiny pyrite ammos out at Lake Texoma and ended up washing them in the washing machine..........talk about a kick my own ### experience. :angry:

Sweet finds everyone:)

Alfred North Whithead

Heres my set. I found them in Eagle Ford, Britton Shale formation. I have a few more pieces of some upstairs somewhere that I will have to go find.

post-221-12575577706431_thumb.jpg

post-221-12575578217559_thumb.jpg

Tracer... Glad we have someone who understands the chemisty involved... I did hear one guy severely burnt inside his lungs....

Lance & Crinus.... Beautiful specimens....

RJB... I dont know if you have an ID for those but they are Eleganticeras elegans, from Whitby North Yorkshire....heres a link to the guy that usually preps and sells them, but looking through his stock he appears to be sold out.... I wonder why lol....

http://www.yorkshirecoastfossils.co.uk/pyrite%20nods.htm

Hey Terry. As a matter of fact I didnt have an id for those. Thanks. I bought these from a guy i call Moussa.

RB

Nice finds everyone..... Thanks for showing them......

I bought this at a club auction a few years ago. Ammonite and imprint of same. From the personal collection of a former fossil curator at the Houston Museum of Natural History. It is put away at the moment, so I don't know the relevant info on it.

post-534-12577868843279_thumb.jpg