Manatee County Pond

Mango

My wife picked up the kids today, which gave me 20 extra minutes to get home from work. What can I do with 20 minutes??? Stopped at a man made pond that was dug along a new road. No traffic allowed on this road yet, so I don't think anyone else has looked there before.

Found my largest hemi to date. Not a perfect one, but still a highlight.

The chunks seem to me to be tooth enamel fragments. The small piece has some nice yellow color in the white layer. Nicotine stain?

My kids usually do the shell collecting, but I liked this one when I saw it. I like it now that I brought it home too. If someone could i.d. it for me, it would be appreciated. I don't have any shell books yet.

post-1351-1242960570_thumb.jpg

post-1351-1242960808_thumb.jpg

post-1351-1242961013_thumb.jpg

Pentax Optio W60

Oh wow! What a sweet little haul you got. I love the big tooth and that shell.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Thanks everyone.

Great finds. The Shell is in mint condition.

When I looked at the close up picture, it revealed dirt that I didn't notice while holding it in my hand. I think it will be worth careful cleaning.

Pentax Optio W60

I'm glad you kept the conch; I would have too.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm glad you kept the conch; I would have too.

Chuck,

Nice hemi!

Pretty sure the shell is not a conch.

Try checking and see if you can find pix of Rapana rapiformis - a turnip or drupe shell.

O

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Nice finds! It looks like those chunks could be mastodon enamel. I've seen white, yellow,orange,brown,and black colors on the chunks of enalel that I've found.

Dan

My wife picked up the kids today, which gave me 20 extra minutes to get home from work. What can I do with 20 minutes??? Stopped at a man made pond that was dug along a new road. No traffic allowed on this road yet, so I don't think anyone else has looked there before.

Found my largest hemi to date. Not a perfect one, but still a highlight.

The chunks seem to me to be tooth enamel fragments. The small piece has some nice yellow color in the white layer. Nicotine stain?

My kids usually do the shell collecting, but I liked this one when I saw it. I like it now that I brought it home too. If someone could i.d. it for me, it would be appreciated. I don't have any shell books yet.

The gastropod appears to be a small example of a melongenid (conch) or a vasid (vase). Both are relative common in multiple species in the Caloosahatchee beds. More images might help to pin down an ID.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Here are a couple more shots at different angles. Thanks for the help.

post-1351-1243047681_thumb.jpg

post-1351-1243047725_thumb.jpg

post-1351-1243047756_thumb.jpg

Pentax Optio W60

Now those are decent pictures :) Looks like a conch to me but what do I know:p

Here are a couple more shots at different angles. Thanks for the help.

My best guess is a that your gastropod is a small example of Vasum floridanum (Family VASIDAE). The conchs (Fam. MELONGENIDAE) commonly have two rows of spikes around the shoulder, and Vasum has one row. Confidence level: circa seventy-five percent. :unsure:

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Tried the other side of the same pond today. There were a lot more shells there, including quite a few of the Vasum floridanum. The one I brought home today is approx 2 1/2" long.

Thank you for the i.d.

post-1351-1243133309_thumb.jpg

post-1351-1243133751_thumb.jpg

Pentax Optio W60