Fish, Bird, Mammal. I Have No Clue

Guest bmorefossil

Guest bmorefossil

they have been on my mind for awhile, i could swear they were bird but you know how you think something is what you want it to be, well i want it to be bird. Im sure its a common bone but would like a nice id, thank you.

post-17-1229487376_thumb.jpg

mmmm maybe, they don't really remind me of bird, the one on the right more-so than the one on the left, can you get a picture of the other side, the exposed surface? perhaps the texture of the bone on the opposite side may give it away.

interesting though, we shall see what auspex says: *awaits the supreme master*

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

They're not part of any bird I've ever seen...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil

ok its not letting me edit anything or add pictures so ill try making a new post, is anyone else having problems?

now it just deleted the post i had here and put this, something must be wrong

Guest bmorefossil

here is the pictue, ill try and get a better one today, im going to be fixing up some new displays.\

ok its not letting me add the picture, ill keep trying so hold on

Guest bmorefossil
convergent end of a porpoise beak?

im not sure what one looks like, but it would make sence. I would love to show you the other side but something is really wrong with my internet or something today and i cant post or edit

im not sure what one looks like, but it would make sence. I would love to show you the other side but something is really wrong with my internet or something today and i cant post or edit

I'll bet that the pic is too big for the jammed-up bandwidth. Reduce it to 72 PPI and 800 wide, and try it again.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I know I have similar pieces of bone somewhere in my collection You are right, I don't think they are uncommon. Maybe check the thread with obsessed1's Eurhinodelphis skull, I think that would be the type.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

They appear to be fragments of "Tilly bones" to me.

Thats what I was saying. With it being broken it looks like it could be something else but it really matches tilly bones/fish fin spines.

Guest bmorefossil
Thats what I was saying. With it being broken it looks like it could be something else but it really matches tilly bones/fish fin spines.

ok but now my question is how can everything be a tilly bone, i so many things that have been called tilly bones that im starting to think the sharp pointy teeth looking things are tilly bones, does anyone have a tilly bone so i can see what it looks like, oh and thanks harry for not saying anything about my picture size (=

ok but now my question is how can everything be a tilly bone, i so many things that have been called tilly bones that im starting to think the sharp pointy teeth looking things are tilly bones, does anyone have a tilly bone so i can see what it looks like, oh and thanks harry for not saying anything about my picture size (=

Well I think what you have is a fish fin spine, just a normal one, but worn/broken. The tilly bone from what I understand is the first spine behind the skull and it has obvious hyperostosis. Yours don't possesses the hyperostosis qualities common in Tilly Bones.

i'm sticking with split end of a porpoise rostrum. still can't get the image of the opposite side to load? arent you an admin here dude???!?!?! :)

Guest bmorefossil

yea but im an admin with serious computer issues, the thing has been a mess for awhile but now all i can see is words and the pages take 13 or so minutes to load and i cant post pictures, i bet its our connection ot the internet again we have some junky internet but it should be fixed soon.

I belive what you have are the front spines of a fishe's dorsal fin. The picture below is of a fish spine on the left and a tilly bone on the right. Hope this helps...

post-281-1229546004_thumb.jpg

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfact...sh/hyperost.htm

Ok, after doing a little more reading...(I still think what you have a fish fin spines)...but a "Tilly Bone" is any part of a fish affected by hyperostosis. See above link. Some found will be like that (swollen vertebrae processes), and then some are fin spines that are swollen.

Guest bmorefossil
I belive what you have are the front spines of a fishe's dorsal fin. The picture below is of a fish spine on the left and a tilly bone on the right. Hope this helps...

see thats what a tilly bone looks like to me, there is still something different about the two things i have, i have a bunch of fish spines but none of them look like the things i found, the fish spines are tall, the two things i have are flat with a curve to the inside, i think toothpuller might be right but i need to get some more pictures for you guys

Guest bmorefossil

yea thats what i plan on doing, from the side and the back im pretty sure you will tell thats its not a Telly tubby or tilly bone or what ever lol

You guys could be correct, but the angle looks different to me on bmore's and how the bone continues after the 2 bones or halves converge. Obsessed, how about you just smash the snout of your skull lengthwise in half along the horizontal axis and put the terminal end in a rock tumbler for a while and see if it comes out looking like this. But seriously, is there some reason you are counting this out? The way the bones seem to converge really makes me think snout for some reason rather than fin spine. But you guys both have much more comparative material than I do, so get to the smashing already!! Or bmore could use paint and resize the picture so his imparied bandwidth could handle it.

Guest bmorefossil
Or bmore could use paint and resize the picture so his imparied bandwidth could handle it.

well i dont use paint but i made a copy of the image and made it 1X1 and the computer just sat there, after 20 mins i gave up

Hyperostosis is common in the neural and haemal spines of fish, and it is not unknown in other vertebral processes, according to the link 'Atropicallondon' provides. I believe that your fragments are the tips of a couple of these inflated spines.

post-42-1229550252_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest