Calvert Clifs Trip First And Second Day!

Guest bmorefossil

Guest bmorefossil

well we met at the cabin around 9am and didnt get to the beach untill 11:00. The beach looked great!!!! We had 9 people in total, My father and me, obsessed1, auspex, N.AL.Hunter+wife, maryland mike, gary, and carol. so i stayed with del for awhile and then went ahead as they looked at some stuff in the matrix, i pass maryland mike and when down the beach where some big rocks were hoping to score a big one. i look on the ground and find a really nice meg. just over 2 5/8, I show my father he goes back to get the camera, I stated to look around and 10 feet from the other meg i find a 2.5" meg. i show everyone, and we keep walking. Gary finds a nice meg out in the water just a few feet from my first ones. i start heading back twoards the boat, i see a mako and then most of a root and serrations!!!!!! i pull it out and it is a 1 3/4" meg. i look down the beach and see that everyone is standing in one spot, so i decide to go over and see whats going on. Then i see a root of a mako sitcking out from under a block. I pick that up and the when i look down again i spot something even better than mako, a 1 1/2 inch meg. Gary finds a really nice dolphin tooth a little way down the beach ( one of the nicest i have seen!!!!). I go and talk to del who is having a really good day for his first cliffs trip. He already had 2 cow sharks and a nice meg!!!! i start talking to people and begin finding the usual stuff but when i look down in the water i see a little part of a meg!!! i pull out a 2" megalodon. thats right 5 megs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. A little later a few of the members decide to take a break, del and his wife keep on working, he finds a 1.5" hemi under a brick and then his wife found a meg close to the boat. It was a great day.

a total of 9 megs were found on day 1

5 by me

2 by gary

2 by del and his wife

del also found a bunch of cowsharks.

gary found a really niice dolphin tooth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAY 2:

we went to a more common beach and there was already someone in front of me and del, but when i looked in the water i could see the tip of a tooth it ended up being a real nice squalodon pre-molar it got really bad for awhile, nothing around but i did end up finding 2 more megs., they are very small but that makes 7 megs on 2 days. Maryland mike found a nice mako and obsessed found 4 dolphin teeth, there was not much else going on so we all left.

2 megs from day 2

a bunch of dolphin teeth found

one really nice squalodon!!!!

I had a great time, it was nice meeting all of you, i hope to hunt with you guys in the future. Happy huntings!!!

post-17-1215988625_thumb.jpg

post-17-1215988763_thumb.jpg

post-17-1215989389_thumb.jpg

post-17-1215989493_thumb.jpg

post-17-1215989616_thumb.jpg

post-17-1215989654_thumb.jpg

post-17-1215989673_thumb.jpg

post-17-1215989825_thumb.jpg

post-17-1215989870_thumb.jpg

post-17-1215989896_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil

you got to wait, im gonna post the pictures all at once, looks like someone cant take a little suspense. lol

we all had a good first day, wish you could have made it

Sounds like a great haul.

What is your collecting style? I assume you seine near the wave line?

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

Guest bmorefossil
Photoooooooooossssssssssssssssssssssssssssss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Any box on the beach??????????????????? :P

yes there was and there was fossils in it from spain (-=

Guest bmorefossil
Sounds like a great haul.

What is your collecting style? I assume you seine near the wave line?

nope i just usually walk the beach the only tool i used yesterday was my eyes

Guest bmorefossil

DAY 2:

we went to a more common beach and there was already someone in front of me and del, but when i looked in the water i could see the tip of a tooth it ended up being a real nice squalodon pre-molar it got really bad for awhile, nothing around but i did end up finding 2 more megs., they are very small but that makes 7 megs on 2 days. Maryland mike found a nice mako and obsessed found 4 dolphin teeth, there was not much else going on so we all left.

Guest bmorefossil

im taking new pictures after i get back from my driving test.....wish me luck )=

well i think this is my best trip ever, i know its from two different days but 7 megs, a squalodon, and an artifact its one heck of a trip.

some of my bigger hemi. and makos i gave to michael.

ok here is the stuff from both days, im taking new pictures after i get back from my driving test.....wish me luck )=

Good luck! :D

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")

Way to go! :applause: Now comes the problem of gas money :(

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest N.AL.hunter

Hello all,

My wife and I have had a great time up here in Maryland, and we want to thank Obsessed1, Bmorefossil and Dad, Maryland Mike,and Auspex for making our time here fun and welcoming. Our collecting actually started one day earlier than Bmore's did. We got up here on Wednesday afternoon and immediately met with Obsessed at the Calvert Museum. He then took us to a site on the Potomac river. We only spent around 2 hours there but found around 100 nice teeth from the Paleocene (I think it was if my weak mind remembers correctly). After that, we went to our motel after being awake for 40 hours (with only one hour sleep).

The next day, we met up with Obsessed, Bmore and Dad, Maryland Mike, Auspex and his friends Gary? and his wife. Bmore's boat took us to a site where we found many teeth as already mentioned. My wife and I both found our first megs (pretty small and broken). The day was long but fun with every one finding a large variety of items. Now as far as Bmorefossil is concerned, I think he must have gone out in the middle of the night planting megs and vertebrae in strategic places only he could see using youthful eyes.

Day three was not a good one for most people (my wife and I). Did not find much at all and called it a day. Unfortunately, Dinosaur50 made it in very late Thursday night and did not join us for the hunt on Friday, but we got to meet him and his father back at the cabins.

Now, I want to publicly thank everyone up there (actually up here as I am still in MD). Everyone in the MD group gave me specimens of teeth and vertebrae I did not find on this trip. Their generosity was overwhelming, and My wife and I are very humbled by it.

To Anson and Cris, we wore our Forum shirts both days!! We also talked it up with everyone we met. In reality, you created this opportunity for us to meet and collect together, so a BIG thanks to both of you too!!

Pictures will have to wait until we are back in Bama next week.

I had planned to meet up with everyone on Thursday but I ended up having killer sinus problems so I stayed home. I did make it out today but I was running late and I stopped by the Calvert Marine Museum to talk to a couple of people about some fossils that I had loaned to them. I mentioned I was trying to catch up with a fossil group and they asked me if any of them were from Alabama. Somebody left an impression on the folks at the museum. To make a long story short I never did manage to catch up with the group. Maybe next time.

Guest bmorefossil
I had planned to meet up with everyone on Thursday but I ended up having killer sinus problems so I stayed home. I did make it out today but I was running late and I stopped by the Calvert Marine Museum to talk to a couple of people about some fossils that I had loaned to them. I mentioned I was trying to catch up with a fossil group and they asked me if any of them were from Alabama. Somebody left an impression on the folks at the museum. To make a long story short I never did manage to catch up with the group. Maybe next time.

dang man i was really wanting to meet you, i guess i should have gave you my phone number, it would have been nice if you joined us. ron we are going to shark fest tomorrow, would you like to come?

...they asked me if any of them were from Alabama. Somebody left an impression on the folks at the museum.

Err, what kind of impression? :P

Sorry we couldn't hook up, Ron. Next time!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

dang man i was really wanting to meet you, i guess i should have gave you my phone number, it would have been nice if you joined us. ron we are going to shark fest tomorrow, would you like to come?

I would have liked to go but I didn't know anything about it. It seems I'm always a day late. I hope to catch up with everyone eventually. Are you a member of the MGS club that meets in Bowie?

Err, what kind of impression? :P

Sorry we couldn't hook up, Ron. Next time!

I may have to stop by your store with some bird fossils the next time I'm up that way.

It was a great trip with a great bunch of people; I only wish that I could have stayed more than one day!

Here's a couple pics: an exposure of the shell layer in the cliffs (which, in one zone, we were walking on), and a typical "tooth-on-the-beach" shot. Both N.AL.Hunter and Obsessed1 collected samples of the fragile shell-layer matrix (not from the cliff face!) and wrapped them as carefully as could be done under the circumstances (Aluminum foil rules!). N.AL.Hunter also tested every tooth collection technique in the golf bag: raking, screening, flipping rocks, walking the beach, wading, and walking the surf edge. My friends Gary and Carol, being old hands at this, totaled 270 teeth, mostly "jewelry sized", but including a nice Meg and a real nice Mako.

A great big thanks to Bmore & Dad and Obsessed1 for putting this together and being such terrific hosts! :applause:

post-423-1215877106_thumb.jpg

post-423-1215877137_thumb.jpg

I may have to stop by your store with some bird fossils the next time I'm up that way.

That would be great! Come any time, the coffee is always fresh.