Cheapest Air-abrasive Set-up Possible...

Ross Robinson

I'm looking to finally step-up my fossil "hobbies"... But being 16, I'm a bit low on income. What's the lowest I could find a complete abrasive set-up for?

ross,

i hear ya. i started when i was 16 as well and it was all could do to fork out $90 for a used aro. (air scribe) i am sure glad i did, as that is my full time job now. i as well was always on the look out for a cheap air abrasive. i almost won one on ebay for $800 which was a killer deal but i got out bid at the last 3 seconds. bummer. i finally broke down last week and bought a new crystal mark swam blaster ev-2l. it set me back $2400 after all was said and done. i still have to get it set up and try it out.

i know of a guy in florida that referbishes old machines and sells them. his name is george heslep, (he is also a well known fossil dealer) if you p.m. me i will get you his phone number and you can try to get a hold of him. his prices are reasonable but still in the $1000 dollar plus range.

the other option is to build one yourself. i could get more specifics if you want, but for now i can tell you it is a modified pressure pot. it is not as precise as the real deal but works. (i am really not sure how it works so i would have to talk with a friend and get pictures of his before i could tell you exactly how he did it)

i will see what i can come up with.

by the way, what type of stuff are you looking at abraiding?

brock

Well, firstly... I'm nowhere near the level you are, I just, every few weekends, go out with my hammer and chisels and knock out some hours and, hopefully, fossils... But I've built up a good amount of trilobites and such I'd like to "uncover"... Namely in shale and sedimentary stone... I've done a bit of reading, and air-abrasive techniques sounded promising... I was hoping for something less than $400... Should I be looking at other techniques for preparation, or is this the right way to go?

Thanks for the reply,

Ross

ross,

air abrasive is probably the best way to clean trilobites in shale. but to find a used unit for less than $400 is going to be nearly impossible. you may be able to build a primative version for that, but it would require a bit of hard work and also the necessary tools.

as far as the market goes i think that it is doing well. especially for large showy pieces because the rich are decorating their homes with them. i try to keep up but i am not a fossil dealer. i am a preparator. i also own a molding and casting company, that makes replicas of dinosaurs for museums. there seems to be enough work to keep me busy for now.

if you can't find a reasonable solution to getting an air abrasive i would be willing to do some prep for you. we would have to work out a price and everything but i thought that i would let you know it was an option. i would even br interested in some nice things for trade as payment.

good luck and i will find out more about the home made machine for you.

brock

here is a diagram of how the home made abrasive machine is made. it is fairly simple and easy to do. a bit of ingenuity will go along ways in making it. if you ahve any questions let me know and i will try to answer them.

2007103014238432.JPG

that small word at the bottom of the pressure pot reads "perferated"

also i remebered that you can buy a cheap air brush (for painting cars/models) and run baking soda through it. they will wear out quickly, but it is a very cheap and easy way to clean things. you can also rig up a hypodermic needle to the tip to make it ultra precision. this may be your best option.

brock

you will also need a blasting cabinet. this can be as simple as a cardboard box with a glass window and lighting. i just built one out of plywood and lighted it with 35 super bright LEDs (it is cool but still not bright enough so i have to upgrade my lighting) you will also need a filtration system to clean the air from the box or you will only be able to work for about 5 minutes max. i just bought a $15 shop vac and stick the hose inside my cabinet. it works great. other than that you should be ready to go. you may be able to do it all for under $400. let me know how it goes.

brock

you will also need a blasting cabinet. this can be as simple as a cardboard box with a glass window and lighting. i just built one out of plywood and lighted it with 35 super bright LEDs (it is cool but still not bright enough so i have to upgrade my lighting) you will also need a filtration system to clean the air from the box or you will only be able to work for about 5 minutes max. i just bought a $15 shop vac and stick the hose inside my cabinet. it works great. other than that you should be ready to go. you may be able to do it all for under $400. let me know how it goes.

brock

Hmmm. You can buy small sand-blasting units from auto/industrial supply houses for a few hundred dollars. These come with the cabinet. I don't know what adaptations would be required (nozzles, at least) to use 50micron glass beads.

Keep in mind that these units create dust, lots of dust! I have two industrial exhaust fans to capture and vent the dust to the outdoors, but I still wear a face-mask. You can breathe 50micron particles with no long-term consequences, apparently. If you breathe FIVE MICRON size dust, you will end up with SILICOSIS of the lungs -- same as "black lung disease" of underground miners. It is debilitating and fatal. It is the finest dust that seems to escape into the room.

Frankly, I don't think you should be trying to do this "on the cheap."

-------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

harry is right

a blasting cabinet is a must. it also needs to be well sealed to keep the dust contained. i also wear a dust mask when i work with my abrasive unit.

brock