Pcs Gear!

Phoenixflood

This topic was brought up by me in another thread so I thought I would make it it's own.

This is what I'm taking in this season: a backpack, two large bottles of water, snack bars, a small screwdiver, paper towels and newspaper, altoids containers and old film cases. I'm going to wear a fly-fishermans vest and have my hardhat and gloves. And last but not least the all important 4 pronged rake. Something new this year may be that I'll bring in a small umbrella for shade perhaps :D

I think that's all I'm going to bring but that could change.

In the past I've brought, in different years: a shovel, a collapsible shovel, rock hammer, chisel, large and small bucket, plain walking stick, plastic bags

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

I have a large backpack that contains a hammer,chisel, newspapers, collapsable shovel, small pic, notebook, camera, several books(Ref.), and last but not least two MRE's. Sometimes, you get hungry. Will have to bring candles and woo pathalogical :P

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Guest N.AL.hunter

Wasn't there something earlier about the color of the hard hat you can't wear? We have white ones, but easily can change their color if needed.

Also, for us newbies, I know we can't enter areas that have been marked, but what will we be able to do in the approved collecting area? Do they allow us to crawl up and down the steeper areas or are they also off limits (not cliffs, just steep slopes)?

What is the sure-fire 4"-7" meg tooth technique?

What is the sure-fire 4"-7" meg tooth technique?

Ebay.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wasn't there something earlier about the color of the hard hat you can't wear? We have white ones, but easily can change their color if needed.

I read somewhere that you can't wear white hard hats because the guides wear white (I think on Jayson's site).

Kevin Wilson

You want to borrow mine?

post-423-1235414854_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Ebay.

:D HA HA HA :D Nice one. Yes, you can't go in any area where there are white stakes. They normally will mark off high cliffs with stakes so you can go to the top but just not over them. You can climb up the hill if they aren't too steep. I'll be in there the same day as you if you need any advise. I use my rake to dig into the side of the hill and pull me up on the tough slopes. Megs can be found in certian layers and certian layers can be figured out by what other fossils from that period are in those layers. Pm me and I'll give you some hints N.AL Hunter. And yes, you can't wear white hard hats but a stripe of colored duct tape can change that.

Guest solius symbiosus

I have never been to that mine, but I never go anywhere without a hand lens, and if collecting fossils, a notebook and compass.

Ebay.

I was not able to get my name in the pot by the deadline and think that would be awesome to be able to go into a mine to hunt. while ya'll are out having a great time fossiling, i will be submerged in a 40 foot deep blackwater river hoping to find a 7 inch tooth. maybe i can get in on the land hunt this fall!

Miocene/Eocene

while ya'll are out having a great time fossiling, i will be submerged in a 40 foot deep blackwater river hoping to find a 7 inch tooth.

Now that is something I'd like to try some day too. I'd see pics of that monster tooth too after you find it!

Kevin Wilson

Now that is something I'd like to try some day too. I'd see pics of that monster tooth too after you find it!

This will be the first forum a picture is posted on. I keep dreaming... I know it's out there, alot of looking and a LOT of LUCK should do it.

Miocene/Eocene

My wife and I usually take a backpack and a 5 gallon bucket each. You've got to have the hardhat and steel toed boots, knee pads are a great help. In our packs we have bottled water, something to snack on, a small hammer and chisel, lots of small containers, (we like the little metal boxes that eclipse mints come in) an old toothbrush, paper towels or aluminum foil to wrap our finds in, ziplock bags, camera (because the mine is difficult to describe to those who haven't seen it), light roll up rain ponchos, something small to dig around with (screwdriver, or one of those little 3 pronged gardeners rakes), and a small towel. The buckets can be a pain, but my wife is a biology teacher and we collect a lot of whale vertebrae and bones for her to take to the schools, they love it, and you've got to have a bucket to carry around the heavy pieces. Wear layers too, it'll be chilly in the morning, then (hopefully) much warmer later in the day. Also a fisherman's or photographer's vest with a lot of pockets is very handy.

Good luck!

It hasn't been mentioned, but I have to reveal the secret:

X-RAY SPECS!

(You can order them from the back of any comic book)

(Sorry, Ron, for blowing your secret)

My wife and I usually take a backpack and a 5 gallon bucket each. You've got to have the hardhat and steel toed boots, knee pads are a great help. In our packs we have bottled water, something to snack on, a small hammer and chisel, lots of small containers, (we like the little metal boxes that eclipse mints come in) an old toothbrush, paper towels or aluminum foil to wrap our finds in, ziplock bags, camera (because the mine is difficult to describe to those who haven't seen it), light roll up rain ponchos, something small to dig around with (screwdriver, or one of those little 3 pronged gardeners rakes), and a small towel. The buckets can be a pain, but my wife is a biology teacher and we collect a lot of whale vertebrae and bones for her to take to the schools, they love it, and you've got to have a bucket to carry around the heavy pieces. Wear layers too, it'll be chilly in the morning, then (hopefully) much warmer later in the day. Also a fisherman's or photographer's vest with a lot of pockets is very handy.

Good luck!

I think you've hit almost everything anyone could ever need! I might have to update what I'm taking in :D Tin foil is a good ideal and a small trowel.

Welcome to the Forum BTW. :D

I'll be there this Sunday. For those who might not know the Museum is now open on Sundays, so if we get rained out that's where I'm heading.

We travel light, just bucket hammer and a bottle of water under that hard hat. If I remember right yeah, only guides wear white hats. just look for a tall guy with a very short wife :D

We will be looking for one of these...

post-1313-1235767526_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

You want to borrow mine?

My mother would wear that hard hat (especially if it had #44 on it)! I on the other hand, grew up a '49ers fan and therefore was ousted from MD by my family B) .

-HZJ

I'll be there this Sunday. For those who might not know the Museum is now open on Sundays, so if we get rained out that's where I'm heading.

We travel light, just bucket hammer and a bottle of water under that hard hat. If I remember right yeah, only guides wear white hats. just look for a tall guy with a very short wife :D

We will be looking for one of these...

post-1313-1235767526_thumb.jpg

Oooh, nice Squalodon skeleton. That looks like a museum I need to visit at some point...

Bobby