Need Id Of This Too

Rsmull

This piece was found in dredged spoils in a farm field along the Conetoe Creek, Pitt County.

Found with this were whale bones, megladon teeth. 30yrs ago the Army Corp of Engineers had dredged the creek and

dumped the spoils along the farm lands.

This piece appears to be ivory in nature. post-1344-1236101796_thumb.jpgpost-1344-1236101823_thumb.jpgpost-1344-1236101863_thumb.jpgpost-1344-1236102085_thumb.jpg

Walrus is correct. Your third pic clearly shows the difference between the inner core and the outer layer. This difference is the easiest way to ID a walrus tusk. Nice find.

Guest bmorefossil
Walrus is correct. Your third pic clearly shows the difference between the inner core and the outer layer. This difference is the easiest way to ID a walrus tusk. Nice find.

ah cool thanks Ron you have been full of info today.

Here is the Walrus at the Aurora Museum...

post-1313-1236106197_thumb.jpg

...and a possible(?) freom Scufleton, NC.

post-1313-1236105641_thumb.jpg

post-1313-1236105973_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

Yup, definitely walrus. Possibly Odobenus rosmarus (modern walrus)- earlier atlantic walruses include Ontocetus emmonsi (formerly known as Alachtherium). The tusks of Ontocetus curve greatly, and have fluting down the tusks, whereas those of Odobenus are generally smooth.

The inner core that PaleoRon mentioned is called globular dentine, and it is a synapomorphy (or unique character) that distinguishes walruses closely related to Odobenus (that group is the tribe Odobenini, which includes Odobenus, Ontocetus, and Valenictus).

Bobby

• I found this Informative 1

Yup, definitely walrus. Possibly Odobenus rosmarus (modern walrus)- earlier atlantic walruses include Ontocetus emmonsi (formerly known as Alachtherium). The tusks of Ontocetus curve greatly, and have fluting down the tusks, whereas those of Odobenus are generally smooth.

The inner core that PaleoRon mentioned is called globular dentine, and it is a synapomorphy (or unique character) that distinguishes walruses closely related to Odobenus (that group is the tribe Odobenini, which includes Odobenus, Ontocetus, and Valenictus).

Bobby

Holy Cow,, I mean, Holy walrus!! I would have thought that was a hunk of rib? I wonder how many walrus tusks Ive walked over now? And what ever happend to the tusk I found? Did I dontate that to Hilton or is that with Chapmans? I dont remember, plus I dont have any pictures of it anymore. I still to have the tape of when it was on the local news! Yes folks, I, the great Rb, are famous. thank you very much. Ha!

RB