Lee Creek March 29th

brsr0131

I have the full list of names for the people that will be going into PCS on March 29th. Here are the full details on what to bring and where to meet up.

First things that you will need to bring and other things that are highly suggested.

A must have:

1. Steel toe shoes

2. Long pants & Long sleeve shirt (no wind breaker type material)

3. Photo I.D. And you must be 18 which i believe all of you are. (if not please pm me because you will not be able to get in.)

Suggested things to bring:

1. 3 Pronged Rake, Hoe, or something to be used as a walking stick

2. Plenty of water. As you can see that last weekend here it was about 80°F both days. I usually go through 5-6 bottles of water on days like that. I would suggest a camel back of some sort so you dont have to stop hunting to get water out of your pack. I can get some good military ones if you can not find any. You will just have to let me know so i can pick them up. They run about 40-60 dollars for the camel pack itself or if you wanted a backpack type they run about 110 dollars.

3. Small storage cases for those fragil fossils that you will find ex. fish jaws, cow sharks, or a bramble if your lucky.

4. Rain coat or poncho if its going to be raining.

5. If you have hard hats take it with you and if not one will be provided for you at the parking lot.

6. Knee pads if you plan on doing the Pungo crawl.

7. Gloves if you would like also. I dont like gloves because you cant feel the fossils that well.

8. screw driver, chissel, or rock hammer if you find something in the hard matrix and want to get it out.

I would like to set a dinner up or something on Sat night for all the people comming down on this weekend. Just give me some suggestions for what you all would like to do.

Directions: See Map

post-239-1236654333_thumb.jpg

I'll be staying in Washington. The Golden Corral is a good choice for a fat boy like me. :P

-HZJ

Guest N.AL.hunter

My wife and I will be coming in on the 27th, collecting on the 28th, leaving on the 29th. We will meet for dinner Saturday night. Can't wait to meet everyone.

I will be headed up the 28th and coming back on the 30th more than likely. I am really looking forward to this. Brian thanks for the opportunity!!!!!!!

Miocene/Eocene

My wife and I will be coming in on the 27th, collecting on the 28th, leaving on the 29th. We will meet for dinner Saturday night. Can't wait to meet everyone.

Same here, My girlfriend, my mother and I will be down Friday night, the 27th, collecting in Lee Creek on the 28th, and then going to GMR and leaving in the afternoon of the 29th. I normally go to Golden Corral after a big hunt. :D That's where I'll be :)

I'll be staying at the Lemon tree if I don't see you all though. I'm going to bring some extra fossils for trading if anyone is interested. :D Pm me if you're going and want my cell phone number.

Oh, and I think you can wear short-sleeves, you just can't wear sleeveless. Dress in layers so you can take or put on the needed items for the day.

Also, remember from the enterence of 33 from 17 it takes 45 minutes + to get to the mine so be up and ready! At least I think it takes that long, does anyone remember how long it takes? I think, we need to be there at 7, loading the bus will start 7:30.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Oh, and I think you can wear short-sleeves, you just can't wear sleeveless. Dress in layers so you can take or put on the needed items for the day.

My suggestion is to wear a long sleeve shirt over a short sleeve shirt. Then when you get there if there are guides that are wearing short sleeve then feel free to go like that.

Golden Coral sounds good to me for a good meeting place. Besides its all you can eat :drool:

I will see if i can reserve a room there in back for us. But first which one are you all talking about? The one in New Bern or Washington

My suggestion is to wear a long sleeve shirt over a short sleeve shirt. Then when you get there if there are guides that are wearing short sleeve then feel free to go like that.

Golden Coral sounds good to me for a good meeting place. Besides its all you can eat :drool:

I will see if i can reserve a room there in back for us. But first which one are you all talking about? The one in New Bern or Washington

Yeah, that's a good idea. I am going to layer up; who knows how cold or warm it's going to be.

I was talking about the one near Washington along 17. There is a Walmart right behind it. I don't now if they have a room in the back though :( We can push a lot of tables together. :D

Right after I get out of the mine on the 28th I'm going to the museum to sift in the spoil piles. :D So it depends on what time you all are thinking about eating; I may have to meet up with you later.

Again, If you need my cell # pm me so we can get in touch with me while I'm down there.

Thanks again for the invite!!! Have any of you ever stayed in New Bern or is Washington the better place to stay. I won't be arriving until late Saturday night because I can't leave until Saturday morning and it is quite the drive from Tennessee. I have two weeks of training I have to attend for my job and it wont be comleted until Friday evening.

I have never stayed at any motels in New Bern but did look into them. They were more expensive than those in Washington so I went to the Days Inn on Carolina street in Washington. It is reasonable and clean. Allow 45 minutes from there to the mine.

I like New Bern a little better because there is more to do there. I myself live in New Bern so i would say that lol. I dont know too much about Washington. Either way its about 30-40 min drive from both places.

I like New Bern a little better because there is more to do there. I myself live in New Bern so i would say that lol. I dont know too much about Washington. Either way its about 30-40 min drive from both places.

The one in Washington is closer to my motel and the mine and I know where it is :D but it's up to you'll.

Anymore thought about this to all who are going?

Guest N.AL.hunter

Since we are staying at the Days Inn in Washington, and we have never been there before, I would vote for the Golden Coral in Washington so that I don't have to find the other city. And Obsessed thanks for letting us know it will be a 45 minute drive from there to the mine. I'll allow for an hour.

I'm staying at the days inn in Washington as well. just let me know when ya'll want to eat. Saturday night may be a good night to eat.

Miocene/Eocene

If staying at the days inn haggle the person at the desk down on the price a little. Every time a friend of mine stays there he is able to get them to drop the price anywhere from $15 to $20 a night. The same applies to the trashly lodge right outside of LaFarge in harleyville my buddy once gut this guy to take $30 for the night

If staying at the days inn haggle the person at the desk down on the price a little. Every time a friend of mine stays there he is able to get them to drop the price anywhere from $15 to $20 a night. The same applies to the trashly lodge right outside of LaFarge in harleyville my buddy once gut this guy to take $30 for the night

Very nice :D

So how do you get into LaFarge???

Whatever time is good for you all. Later is better for me :D I'm going to be coming out of the mine on the 28th and hitting the museum, then probably going back to the hotel for a quick shower before going out to eat. How long this will take, I don't know 6, 6:30, 7, 7:30? Just don't eat all the food before we get there. Get started without me, but I'd like to meet you all. I'll bring some trade fossils if anyone is interested.

What time will you all getting down there to your hotels?

Very nice :D

So how do you get into LaFarge???

LaFarge is in Sc(sorry i left this out) and holds hunts 4 times a year although the spring hunt has already been canceled. I've been going down there for quite some time but my phone took a four month swim at the beach a bit ago so i no longer have the number to call to sign up for the trips when they have them. I'll search around and see if i can find it.

I am staying in Washington as well. I won't be arriving until late afternoon, so the later the better for me as well.

-HZJ

LaFarge is in Sc(sorry i left this out) and holds hunts 4 times a year although the spring hunt has already been canceled. I've been going down there for quite some time but my phone took a four month swim at the beach a bit ago so i no longer have the number to call to sign up for the trips when they have them. I'll search around and see if i can find it.

843-462-7651 x3200

Thanks for the info everyone :D

Is it as good as Lee Creek and what can you find there?

I hadn't planned on staying in the area since I only live an hour or 2 from the mine, but I would love to have dinner and meet everyone! I might just drive up for dinner and come back up the next morning for the dig.

Thanks for the info everyone :D

Is it as good as Lee Creek and what can you find there?

It's the best place i've seen that is still open to find Auriculatus and archaeocetes. Its about an eight hour one way drive for me and i try and make it every time. With work and all i usually only end up getting down there for two of the hunts and sometimes drive straight home afterwards. I must say that if i had the choice of hunting LaFarge or Lee creek after a heavy rain i would choose lee creek just because the collecting area is much bigger and there is a much greater diversity.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Lets make it 7:30 to allow everyone a chance to clean up. So, to make sure that we're clear... we all will meet at the Golden Corral at 7:30 Saturday, the 28th. Am I correct on this?

It's the best place i've seen that is still open to find Auriculatus and archaeocetes. Its about an eight hour one way drive for me and i try and make it every time. With work and all i usually only end up getting down there for two of the hunts and sometimes drive straight home afterwards. I must say that if i had the choice of hunting LaFarge or Lee creek after a heavy rain i would choose lee creek just because the collecting area is much bigger and there is a much greater diversity.

Alright, thanks! I don't have either so it might be worth a trip :D or a trade :D

7:30 Sounds good at Washington GC for me