Fluorescent Minerals And Fossil Collecting, Well Sorta...

Pitviper

Forgive the off topic-ness but there some fossils in the story, I promise!

So I found out about (on this forum) that there's a mine nearby that produces some beautiful fluorescent rocks. Another member, Anthony, (don't know your screen name buddy) suggested we meet up. As it happens we must have pulled in to the parking lot at the same time. He might have recognized me because I was wearing the same rediculous hat as in my profile picture (I hate the sun way more than I hate that hat). Anthony was well prepared, and he even had some recent cretacous brook finds to show me :) He helped me out with some information on what to look for, which later turned out to be a big help, thanks dude!

When we went inside to buy blacklights we noticed they had fossils for sale. I got a couple of nice otodus teeth and a nice little trilobite for just a few bucks. I was happy, I like this place.

So we head out to the main quarry area, and initially I trail Anthony around for a bit. Pretty quickly we start finding stuff, though you could just barely see it, even in the shade. After some time my brother and I gathered up our finds and head to a dark shed where they have a big blacklight set up. I was amazed at how bright the colours were! I couldn't believe it! The one photographed I actually found in the throwback pile! I'm definitely going back for more.

The fossil forum once again provides me with a great day out in the natural world, I wish I'd found this site sooner :)

http://bryandugganphotography.smugmug.com/...602579156_BKgDD

Normal light...

602646867_673pp-L.jpg

Shortwave light...

602646545_NTpob-L.jpg

"Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only to what we know of it."

If you have a long/short wave lamp try it on your fossils. You might be surprised at what you see.

cool stuff brian. i havent been to sterling hill in years. i have bags of gravel from there that are unbelievably colorful under short wave. check out a belemnite under short wave when you get a chance.

Awesome, if you find extra send it my way :D Cool stuff!

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Very interesting topic..... Now I'm wondering what my Green Mill Run Belemnites would look like.

Any recommendation / feedback / reviews on brands that have both long/short capability that won't break the bank?

Since its UV... is eye protection recommended while using these lights?

...just wondering

- Brad

It certainly was a good day out. You're right, your hat gave you away!

I'm glad you got out of there with some good stuff you liked. I got some nice stuff, myself. I stayed behind a little too late in the pit, since right at the end, I found a bunch of apatite crystals, which happened to be in a pretty good sized rock. One of my favorite finds out there was still that azurite, though the apatites are really nice, and I've got a couple things I'm not sure of yet. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow and post them, though my camera doesn't do well at macro stuff.

Very interesting topic..... Now I'm wondering what my Green Mill Run Belemnites would look like.

Any recommendation / feedback / reviews on brands that have both long/short capability that won't break the bank?

Since its UV... is eye protection recommended while using these lights?

...just wondering

- Brad

here's a link to a decient one on ebay. it's got two days and change to go on it. and while you should never look directly at shortwave light, as it will give you welders flash, you dont need eye protection.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPECTROLINE-UV-ULTRAVI...id=p3286.c0.m14

you will like the way your belemnites look under shortwave, and im willing to bet that you have other fossils that will fluoresce under shortwave as well. id like to see if those geodizied brachiopods light up.

Ahh! I looked right into the black light on that link!

Ahh!

But I love Flourescent minerals!

Did you know there are some phosphorescent minerals? (they will still glow AFTER the blacklight has been removed!)

it sounds like you had a great time there... i am definately stopping by when im in town... what is the name of the place?

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

Nice finds though where are they from? Looks like the mix that is known as Franklinite. If so it will go nuts under shortwave.

One of the coolest things about blacklight is what it does to fossil teeth - particularly mammal teeth. White river and Chinese skulls have bizzare effects under longwave. It is I think, a very underappreaciated aspect of this hobby. Thank you for shedding "Light" on it.. :rolleyes:

Be true to the reality you create.

The mine is called the Stirling Hill Mine in Ogdensburg NJ. To whomever guessed Franklinite, I believe that's what is found in the area, but I'm a complete beginner in this arena.

Someone mentioned phosphorescence, I don't know the difference between that and fluorescence (?), but some of my rocks glow for about 15 seconds after the light is turned off, does that count??

I must say, the tour of the mine was way better than I anticipated, I was really surprised. We only spend a minute or two in what's referred to as the rainbow room but thankfully I had a camera with a tripod so I was able to snap a quick before and after shot.

Thanks to Phil for the recommendation on the light, the one they sell you at the gift shop is cheap enough at only $30 but I can see wanting something with a few more horse power if I'm gonna do this for real ;)

602548931_x2kVU-M.jpg

602548576_B3RRu-M.jpg

I got into fluorescing minerals & fossils after noticing that my one Petroski (sp?) stone glowed under UV. I took a look at some other fossils and found a handful that fluoresce.

Petroski stone (mine was from glacial debris in SW Ohio.) = Lt blue/green

A few Cincinnatian fossils from some of the "red" Dalmanella layers = deep red

Texas Cretaceous oysters from the Austin Chalk near Hutto,TX = orange & yellow & large chunks of calcite pulled from the same outcrop glow real nice too

NJ Belemnites = orange

Miscellaneous vuggy brachs of OH, KY IN & NY (pretty hit or miss) = mostly lt blue, green when they do

Having a short wave lamp will increase what you find since some stuff only glows under short wave UV but a cheap little long wave lamp from the party store will also light stuff up nicely.

yeah, when the things glow after the light is removed, that is phosphorescence... Ive never actually had a specimen that does it, but i know tey exist! and yours does! great find, im jealous!

Guest N.AL.hunter

Mammal fossils from the White River Formation/Brule/Chadron? Look really nice under UV, specially their teeth.

yeah, when the things glow after the light is removed, that is phosphorescence... Ive never actually had a specimen that does it, but i know tey exist! and yours does! great find, im jealous!

Give me your address, and I'll mail you a piece (really).

If you've got something in your fossil collection you want to send my way, great, otherwise pls enjoy it as a small gift :)

Give me your address, and I'll mail you a piece (really).

If you've got something in your fossil collection you want to send my way, great, otherwise pls enjoy it as a small gift :)

I'd be willing to do the same thing if you offered me the same deal (that is send you something) :D Just send me a pm :D

Alright! Sent you a PM!

and by the sounds of it, you might need to go back and get a stock supply! ;-)

Hey Phoenixflood, I'll gladly send you a piece. Just shoot me a PM with your address :)

I'm going back next month and I plan on bringing a lot more pieces home this time. I'll post something at the end of August and anyone who wants a piece can have one.

Hey Phoenixflood, I'll gladly send you a piece. Just shoot me a PM with your address :)

I'm going back next month and I plan on bringing a lot more pieces home this time. I'll post something at the end of August and anyone who wants a piece can have one.

I'd like to go also, but probably will wait until it's a little cooler out, like maybe October or so. I'm having too much fun collecting in warm water and kayaking!

This link has minerals for sale for those who want larger quantities: http://sterlinghillminingmuseum.org/sales/minerals.php

Looks like a really interesting place -- great find, Anthony!

I'd like to go also, but probably will wait until it's a little cooler out, like maybe October or so. I'm having too much fun collecting in warm water and kayaking!

This link has minerals for sale for those who want larger quantities: http://sterlinghillminingmuseum.org/sales/minerals.php

Looks like a really interesting place -- great find, Anthony!

What are you collecting? and where? I see you're in NJ also?

What are you collecting? and where? I see you're in NJ also?

Yup, South Jersey, part of the "Soprano State" (book I'm currently reading).

New to this site, recently started collecting formally, although I also have a bunch of rocks and fossils brought home over the years. Mostly I've been up in the Monmouth brooks this summer, with a few side trips to MD, lots of sharks' teeth and other stuff.

Will do, thanks :D

I'm glad everyone is enjoying these fluorescent minerals. NJ has some great fossils, but it has some superb minerals for those who enjoy them. As a note, Franklinite is a minerals found in the ores. If you look at his first pictures of the fluorescent minerals, it is the shiny, shattered black crystals.

And Haddy, if you're looking to do this sometime in October, both Franklin and Sterling Hill have night digs coming up in the fall, where you can take your SW UV lights out at night time to look for things after dark. Very cool experience.

I've never actually been on the mine tour at Sterling Hill. I'm glad it was enjoyable. Whenever I go there, I always get wrapped up in digging and never get around to the tour :P

You have to take the tour even if just for the rainbow room! The tour was actually a lot of fun.