Crinoid Cup From Who Knows Where?

Plantguy

Hey Gang, This specimen has been sitting in a box of other fossils that I acquired some time ago with no info at all..no formation, locale, id, no nothing...Any ideas on which Crinoid? Is there enough detail to determine a genus? Any info is appreciated. Thanks. Regards, Chris

post-1240-12564844587542_thumb.jpg

post-1240-1256484474278_thumb.jpg

post-1240-12564844946015_thumb.jpg

post-1240-12564845107129_thumb.jpg

post-1240-12564845358066_thumb.jpg

Hey Gang, This specimen has been sitting in a box of other fossils that I acquired some time ago with no info at all..no formation, locale, id, no nothing...Any ideas on which Crinoid? Is there enough detail to determine a genus? Any info is appreciated. Thanks. Regards, Chris

What's a plant guy doing with a crinoid? :P

Don't worry, crinus will be along soon to tell you its species, its favorite rock and roll band, and its astrological sign :D

its favorite rock and roll band

THE PLANTERS

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Hi Chris.

I think your specimen is a Dizygocrinus rotundus Mississippian midcontinental maybe Indiana, Iowa, Missouri. I think means Maybe. later Paul

Hi Chris.

I think your specimen is a Dizygocrinus rotundus Mississippian midcontinental maybe Indiana, Iowa, Missouri. I think means Maybe. later Paul

I would say more! According to "Mister Paleozoic" Bruce L. Stinchcomb fossil book "Paleozoic fossils", this specimen comes from the famous and rich crinoid gardens of Burlington Limestone deposits.

They come, as you say, from Iowa, Missouri, but aswell Illinois, Arkansas (Boone frmtion) and Oklahoma.

This "garden" is the largest and diverse crinoid fauna (living or not)in the whole world!

The crinoid is definitely from the Burlington Limestone. That would mean it came from one of several areas but most probably from the areas of Hannibal, Missouri or Springfield, Missouri. There are also areas in Iowa or Illinois but if you consider the collecting area there is a greater chance of the two Missouri areas. The crinoid looks like Macrocrinus and is one of the most common crinoids from those areas.

crinus

I see that your cup runneth over! :P

Crinus and all. Thanks all for the id/info. Much appreciated!

As for the question about what's a plantguy doing with a crinoid.....we dont have enough drive space/band width for my long answer so my short answer will have to suffice: invertebratefossils==>photography==>art==>gardening==>anthropology==>geology==>paleontology==>business mismanagement==>computer helpless desk==>projectless management==>plants…...Go figure?..ADD/ADHD?…Now where am I? Planters no----wrong decade, Grass roots maybe!

Just kidding around---I've actually been putzing around with rocks/fossils since I was a kid. Its late now and I need some sleep! Thanks all again for the help! Best Regards, Chris

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I just found this site and thought I would weigh in on the discussion of this crinoid. I have been collecting the Burlington formation for a long time and I think the crinoid that is pictured is Eutrochocrinus christyi from the Cedar Fork member of the Burlington Formation. This crinoid could have come from a number of spots, but looking at the matrix, I would agree with Crinus and say it is probably from Missouri.