Creek fossil question

Biollantefan54

• New Members

Hey, so I’m pretty new to fossil collecting, i plan to go to Green Mills Run in a few weeks after doing some reading on it. Anyways, I was wondering if it was possible to find any fossils in creeks pretty inland, or if it’s only possible close to the coast? I’m in North Carolina, near the Charlotte area, and was thinking about searching in some creeks around the area. Thanks for your help!

Edited by Biollantefan54

• New Members
2 minutes ago, daves64 said:

Thanks for that, i didn’t think to post there, I’ve read over most threads in there but don’t see an answer, I’m just wondering more generally really if fossils can be found inland or not, not necessarily the Charlotte area specifically if that makes sense.

Fossils in the Piedmont tend to be scarce. There is a quarry in Stanly County that exposes the Ediacaran Cid formation; however, it is not open to the public. A system of Triassic rift basins cut diagonally across the central portion of the state. It is possible to find plant material and vertebrate material; however, it is difficult to gain access to those localities. When I was starting out in NC several years ago, I collected some petrified wood from the Pekin Formation (Triassic) and some coal that is fossiliferous from the Cumnock Formation (Triassic). Unfortunately, the material I collected is not too interesting. You are not going to be able to go to a creek and collect material like GMR. The primary advantage of being in the Charlotte area I have found is that we are pretty much equidistant to the good localities on the coasts of both NC and SC. Good luck!

• I found this Informative 3

• New Members
7 minutes ago, Rustdee said:

Fossils in the Piedmont tend to be scarce. There is a quarry in Stanly County that exposes the Ediacaran Cid formation; however, it is not open to the public. A system of Triassic rift basins cut diagonally across the central portion of the state. It is possible to find plant material and vertebrate material; however, it is difficult to gain access to those localities. When I was starting out in NC several years ago, I collected some petrified wood from the Pekin Formation (Triassic) and some coal that is fossiliferous from the Cumnock Formation (Triassic). Unfortunately, the material I collected is not too interesting. You are not going to be able to go to a creek and collect material like GMR. The primary advantage of being in the Charlotte area I have found is that we are pretty much equidistant to the good localities on the coasts of both NC and SC. Good luck!

Ok very good to know! I knew it wouldn’t be anything like GMR, I was just curious if there would be anything to be found on the off chance. I’m still researching places to go but I’m very excited to hunt at GMR. Thanks for the help :)