Please help identify

James Johnson

the pictures are to blury, pleas also site the location where it was found, this wil help for a beter determination.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

It was found around Port Angeles WA. Where this supposed herd of Mamouth were. This is the bottom. Smooth as glass and show tendons in the Bone Marrow

20200121_141223.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

It always helps with IDs if you provide some sort of scale (ruler) in the photos. I lean towards this being a suggestive rock but there is a slight chance there is bone structure peaking through a few pics. Again, too blurry to definitively change my mind. 

Mike 

Good,, I like a sceptic. It is definatly iD in Port Townsend that it is bone/knuckle fossilized. He was pretty sure it was this particular herd or group of Mamouth that were in the Olympic Mountains around Port Angeles/Sequim. I will take better pics n post after work today.

Screenshot_2020-02-28-01-01-56.png

Screenshot_2020-02-28-05-21-05.png

I will put a scale along side of it. But it is about as big around as a softball. About 9 inches tall. This bottom is glass smooth, and showing tendon or muscle in the marrow.

Screenshot_2020-02-28-05-21-34.png

Your pictures continue to be blurry. 

Please get some in focus pictures so we can see the texture.

From the blurry pictures, I'm seeing a rock, so far.  :( 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, James Johnson said:

I will put a scale along side of it. But it is about as big around as a softball. About 9 inches tall. This bottom is glass smooth, and showing tendon or muscle in the marrow.

A scale will help and try to take some photos outside in bright sunlight as it will help the camera to focus better.

Flat smooth surfaces can be biological but are very often of geological origin as well. Your description of "tendon or muscle in the marrow" is a bit confused which is reasonable since most folks who are not doctors (or butchers) don't tend to think about bones and how they are constructed very much in their day-to-day lives. ;) The texture that I think you are referring to is the cancellous bone material inside of bones that are not subject to great mechanical stress. Bones like mammoth carpals/tarsals (toe bones) tend to be very dense and solid as they are subject to a huge amount of weight. As a result toe bones of mammoths (and other animals) are often preserved due to their density.

https://www.britannica.com/science/cancellous-bone

I am not seeing anything in your images (blurry or the more clear ones) that would indicate fossilized bone. This appears to be a very suggestive rock but clearer photos would surely help.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like rock (chert?) at the top to me, but the underside just may be bone. Problem is, the resolution isn't good enough for my eyes to be able to make a proper judgement, although the photo is much better than the previous ones. Who definitely identified it in Port Townsend?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Downtown there is a store that has a guy knowledgeable that I made an appointment with. He does this for a living, and knew about a herd living in the Port Angeles region at that time.