Fossil Hunting - Humber River (Toronto)

BellamyBlake

Hi,

This will be my first fossil-hunting trip. I'm from Toronto and have read a few threads mentioning that it's possible to find fossils along the Humber River. However, it's pretty long. I'm wondering if anyone could kindly offer suggestions on areas of the river they may have had success with.

Thank you!

Hmm, right now is not a good season to explore the river since it is still cold. In the summer when the water is warm, the Humber is surprisingly shallow in some spots (the water only goes up to knee high or so and I have encountered places where the water only goes ankle high). I would say this though from my years of experience with the river: you can start finding exposures of the Georgian Bay formation south/ down river of Weston Road. Also there are many parks south of said location that are on the river with exposures of varying sizes but you'd have to get wet to get to them. You'll also encounter vines and bushes too along the way. You should walk and scout along any of these parks first to get an idea of how to get to these exposures. 

• I found this Informative 1

15 hours ago, JUAN EMMANUEL said:

Hmm, right now is not a good season to explore the river since it is still cold. In the summer when the water is warm, the Humber is surprisingly shallow in some spots (the water only goes up to knee high or so and I have encountered places where the water only goes ankle high). I would say this though from my years of experience with the river: you can start finding exposures of the Georgian Bay formation south/ down river of Weston Road. Also there are many parks south of said location that are on the river with exposures of varying sizes but you'd have to get wet to get to them. You'll also encounter vines and bushes too along the way. You should walk and scout along any of these parks first to get an idea of how to get to these exposures. 

Thank you for the suggestions, Juan. I'll go back during the hotter months to encounter more shallow areas, and will try the area south of Weston Road like you noted.

Edited by BellamyBlake