Platybelodon Tooth ID Confirmation request

Ruger9a

Good evening folks.  I am requesting a verification/confirmation for a tooth I purchased over 10 years ago listed as Platybelodon, Miocene, Gansu, China.  It measures 7cm long, 4.2cm wide and 6.3cm tall.  

DSCN3493a.jpg

DSCN3494a.jpg

DSCN3495a.jpg

DSCN3496a.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks, I love it too.  This is one of my better Platy teeth of this size.  Just wish I could nail the exact species.  

Being a herbivore tooth collector must be the loneliest field in this forum:-(

• I found this Informative 2

6 hours ago, ParkerPaleo said:

I can't verify this, but the label I have on my examples says Platybelodon danovi

Thank you ParkerPaleo.  I'll look into the danovi species and "hopefully" find a match.  Any chance you could post a photo of your specimen?

I'm trying to create my own collection of Proboscidean teeth.

So far I have Mammoth, Mastodon, Gomphothere, and recently acquired a Deinotherium.

I'm really loving seeing your freakish dentures from China.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

56 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I'm trying to create my own collection of Proboscidean teeth.

So far I have Mammoth, Mastodon, Gomphothere, and recently acquired a Deinotherium.

I'm really loving seeing your freakish dentures from China.

Great, because there are more to come.  I quit collecting mammoth teeth because after 5 - 10 years they would shrink and flake off.  It happened to three of the five I own.  Even though they were purchased in different years and from different sellers/locations.  Really disappointing.   When will we see your collection?

6 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

Great, because there are more to come.  I quit collecting mammoth teeth because after 5 - 10 years they would shrink and flake off.  It happened to three of the five I own.  Even though they were purchased in different years and from different sellers/locations.  Really disappointing.   When will we see your collection?

I think that happens to teeth from the North Sea if not properly consolidated. I heard that somewhere on the forum.

1 hour ago, Scylla said:

I think that happens to teeth from the North Sea if not properly consolidated. I heard that somewhere on the forum.

Yeah, I knew that before purchasing them but was told they had been properly preserved.  Then again, I should have known better than to believe everything I'm told...... 

19 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Thank you ParkerPaleo.  I'll look into the danovi species and "hopefully" find a match.  Any chance you could post a photo of your specimen?

Even better, have 3 examples.  I have larger and smaller if you want to see other growth ranges but these are in your size range.

Don't fear, you aren't the only mammalian paleontologist around here :)  Though we are a bit under-represented.

DSC00412.JPG

DSC00413.JPG

DSC00414.JPG

DSC00415.JPG

DSC00416.JPG

DSC00417.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

47 minutes ago, ParkerPaleo said:

Even better, have 3 examples.  I have larger and smaller if you want to see other growth ranges but these are in your size range.

Don't fear, you aren't the only mammalian paleontologist around here :)  Though we are a bit under-represented.

Wow, that's great!!  I thought I was all alone!  Those are very nice teeth!   I have several different types of Platy or Amebelodon teeth, they are basically in the same size range as your smaller teeth.  I have only two larger Platy teeth that were actually listed as just Gomphothere, one is only a partial, about 3/4 complete.   I believe I have some are milk teeth as well.  It's difficult for me to distinguish between Amebelodon or Platybelodon or...…sometimes.   I'll post more photos here if you don't mind trying to help me confirm my analysis of what species they are.  I'm finding it very difficult to locate  research information on these teeth, all herbivore teeth in general.   Seems all/any carnivore teeth are highly prized by much of the collecting community which means higher prices and/or lesser quality specimens or just outright fakes.  That's one of the original reasons I began to look at these teeth, besides (to me) they are the most beautiful! 

2 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

besides (to me) they are the most beautiful! 

:thumbsu:  You will never be alone brother!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

27 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

Wow, that's great!!  I thought I was all alone!  Those are very nice teeth!   I have several different types of Platy or Amebelodon teeth, they are basically in the same size range as your smaller teeth.  I have only two larger Platy teeth that were actually listed as just Gomphothere, one is only a partial, about 3/4 complete.   I believe I have some are milk teeth as well.  It's difficult for me to distinguish between Amebelodon or Platybelodon or...…sometimes.   I'll post more photos here if you don't mind trying to help me confirm my analysis of what species they are.  I'm finding it very difficult to locate  research information on these teeth, all herbivore teeth in general.   Seems all/any carnivore teeth are highly prized by much of the collecting community which means higher prices and/or lesser quality specimens or just outright fakes.  That's one of the original reasons I began to look at these teeth, besides (to me) they are the most beautiful! 

https://www.app.pan.pl/archive/published/app58/app20110009.pdf

Maybe an okay starting point for research?  Lots of references.  At least its publicly available.  I'm happy to help, I'll learn in the process too.

4 hours ago, ParkerPaleo said:

https://www.app.pan.pl/archive/published/app58/app20110009.pdf

Maybe an okay starting point for research?  Lots of references.  At least its publicly available.  I'm happy to help, I'll learn in the process too.

Thanks for the link.  I do have this paper and it was/is a big help.  Just wish the teeth photos were closer, clearer and more defining.  I did additional research on google and kinda got lost in all the (misleading) links without getting much accomplished.  Printed off several references and when I began comparing them to my teeth, they all began to look alike.  Thanks for your help in our little "sub-group" of herbivore teeth collectors.  I will be posting some new photos - probably tomorrow.  

5 hours ago, caldigger said:

:thumbsu:  You will never be alone brother!

:-)   Thanks!  You either!

Here is another tooth from Amebelodon as best as I can tell.  What do you think?

DSCN3500.JPG

DSCN3498.JPG

DSCN3499.JPG

On 3/20/2020 at 12:17 PM, ParkerPaleo said:

@ParkerPaleo  Sorry I forgot to add the at sign..