GeschWhat

Okay, this may be just wishful thinking, but a girl can hope, right? For your viewing pleasure is an Upper Cretaceous coprolite from the North Sulphur River in Texas, Ozan Formation, Talyor Shale. This little beauty has some unusual fish remains. Any chance this is a caudal fin from a coelacanth? The bones are pretty substantial compared to other fish bones I've seen in coprolites from the area. It does contain scales that are good sized and pretty transparent, with kind of a fingerprint pattern. Obviously, they may not be from the same prey item. Can anyone tell me if these are indeed coelacant bones? If so, do they look like those from a caudal fin? Other thoughts?

@Fossildude19

@sharkdoctor

@Carl

Image 1:

Coprolite-Lobe-Finned-Fish-Inclusion-Ozan-Formation-View-1.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

I can’t help with your questions, but that is the coolest piece of poop I’ve ever seen! 

• I found this Informative 1

Great find, Lori!  :) 

The last item looks like skull material to me.

As far as the other bones, ... I cannot say definitively what it is, but it looks more like some other fin bones, or possibly rib bones of some other fish.  

Not sure, but the scales don't look like coelacanth scales that I am familiar with. :unsure: 

I don't know if coelacanths have been found in the NSR, but these look more like ichtyodectid bones to me, due to their robustness. 

post-6661-0-10419600-1366748733.jpg  post-6661-0-54642800-1366748682.jpg  post-6661-0-74073900-1366748774.jpg

Images from THIS POST.

• I found this Informative 12

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

"Coelacanth caudal fin or something else in my poop"

How many times have I looked down and asked myself that very same question?  If I only had a nickel for every time.  :heartylaugh:

• I found this Informative 5

1 minute ago, GeschWhat said:

Not quite the coolest, but definitely #2. :default_rofl:

:heartylaugh: It’s the best #2 I’ve been shown (and I have a 7 year old son who would beg to differ)!

• I found this Informative 3

On 6/10/2020 at 6:51 PM, Fossildude19 said:

As far as the other bones, ... I cannot say definitively what it is, but it looks more like some other fin bones, or possibly rib bones of some other fish.  

Not sure, but the scales don't look like coelacanth scales that I am familiar with. :unsure: 

I don't know if coelacanths have been found in the NSR, but these look more like ichtyodectid bones to me, due to their robustness. 

post-6661-0-10419600-1366748733.jpg  post-6661-0-54642800-1366748682.jpg  post-6661-0-74073900-1366748774.jpg

Images from THIS POST.

Thanks, Tim. I just thought it was kind of weird that it looked somewhat articulated, and there weren't any vertebrae. I suppose they could have broken off or been crushed. Like I said, a girl can dream. :D

I normally don’t say this but I’m envious of your poop! Great specimen! :envy:

I am with

On 6/10/2020 at 6:51 PM, Fossildude19 said:

Images from THIS POST.

I agree. Nevertheless a very nice piece and it throws a light to the the food-chain in this paleoenvironment...

More questions for you fish experts. Can you tell me what distinguishes Icthyodectids from other fish? Is it just their robustness?  Are the bones more likely from a fin (vs. ribs) since there are small ray fins visible at the tip? If so, do you think it is more likely the fin is a pectoral fin since it its in with skull parts? If so, that could somewhat explain the lack of vertebrae. 

I don't know if this bit is any more diagnostic than the other visible bones, but this larger bone on the end of the coprolite has an interesting ribbed texture. 

Coprolite-Lobe-Finned-Fish-Inclusion-Ozan-Formation-End-View.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That is a FANTASTIC turd, Lori! All I can do is agree that it's fish. And I bet only a serious fish expert, or someone who really knows that fauna, could take it further. Might even require a CT scan. So cool.

7 minutes ago, Carl said:

That is a FANTASTIC turd, Lori! All I can do is agree that it's fish. And I bet only a serious fish expert, or someone who really knows that fauna, could take it further. Might even require a CT scan. So cool.

Awe shucks, Carl. You say the sweetest things!