Oreodont, but which species?

Ludwigia

I picked this up recently from an internet auction house. The seller had no idea about it, since he knew absolutely nothing about fossils. I was hoping that someone might be able to guide me to at least the genus, when not the species and maybe also an idea about where it may have been found. The jaw partial is 5cm.long.

M23a.jpg.7e612f872588d4c7a1e1baf8c7707329.jpg

M23b.jpg.f781fe076c948a3e61b7b22102b20012.jpg

M23c.jpg.48907ec0bc04b59640a6e428a71464b7.jpg

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I would agree with Merycoidodon culbertsoni, but let's see what @jpc thinks as well! It could be a smaller Oreodont species.

• I found this Informative 2

I would need to compare this to one of mine.

OK, you guys talked me into it.  I'll get off my duff and go do it.  The m2+m3 on the one I have easily accessible measures 5cm.  So I think culbertsoni is a good ID.  Having said that I do not know what other species of oreodon with this White River preservation might be the same size.  The others that I know of are not the same size.... Leptauchenia and M. gracilis are considerably smaller and Eporeodon is bigger.     

• I found this Informative 2

17 hours ago, FossilsandScience said:

I would agree with Merycoidodon culbertsoni, but let's see what @jpc thinks as well! It could be a smaller Oreodont species.

6 hours ago, jpc said:

I would need to compare this to one of mine.

OK, you guys talked me into it.  I'll get off my duff and go do it.  The m2+m3 on the one I have easily accessible measures 5cm.  So I think culbertsoni is a good ID.  Having said that I do not know what other species of oreodon with this White River preservation might be the same size.  The others that I know of are not the same size.... Leptauchenia and M. gracilis are considerably smaller and Eporeodon is bigger.     

Thank you very much, gentlemen :tiphat:

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/