Hi fossil pals

fossilturtle

• New Members

Hey y'all

Uni student studying bach of criminology in Australia here!

I love fossils (which is why I joined this page lol) and I adore seeing peoples collection, so feel free to comment (with a pic if u want) of the coolest things from your collection so I can aim to have something just as cool hehe. 

Deffo a beginner or amateur fossil collector but I have always been interested so I hope TFF can help me understand more about it :)

IMG_6168.jpg.1c8a184628c1158f6a18893caa81a596.jpg

Here is my tiny lil collection I have - all of are from/were bought from the good ol' US of A. 

Don't drag me for my tiny collection please, I may cry 

Anyway, thanks y'all and happy fosslin'

Welcome from North Dakota. Your collection will grow as well, it is inevitable.

I'm not sure what I consider the coolest things in my collection but I've been posting fossils from a favorite Formation of mine in North Dakota here. The whole Member Collections subforum is filled with excellent stuff for you to look at.

• I found this Informative 1

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. 

A couple of your fossils seem to be Moroccan too. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• New Members
4 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. 

A couple of your fossils seem to be Moroccan too. 

ooooo!! that is interesting, this is why I am glad I joined this forum :)

Just now, fossilturtle said:

ooooo!! that is interesting, this is why I am glad I joined this forum :)

Bottom right would appear to be a polished Devonian orthocerid nautiloid and the orange thing looks like a Moroccan Ordovician Flexicalymene trilobite. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• New Members
6 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Bottom right would appear to be a polished Devonian orthocerid nautiloid and the orange thing looks like a Moroccan Ordovician Flexicalymene trilobite. 

IMG_6169.jpg.3b8d76a8fde29d19f1d4c1b9f11c7e0e.jpg

Was it this little orange thing you were mentioning? 

This was one of my first fossils I got in 2017 I believe! 

• New Members
26 minutes ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

Welcome from North Dakota. Your collection will grow as well, it is inevitable.

I'm not sure what I consider the coolest things in my collection but I've been posting fossils from a favorite Formation of mine in North Dakota here. The whole Member Collections subforum is filled with excellent stuff for you to look at.

Looooove this collection!!!! 

On 12/6/2020 at 1:18 AM, fossilturtle said:

IMG_6169.jpg.3b8d76a8fde29d19f1d4c1b9f11c7e0e.jpg

Was it this little orange thing you were mentioning? 

This was one of my first fossils I got in 2017 I believe! 

Yup, that's the one. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

Welcome to the forum! 
I am sure you will like it here, it is a great place to learn more about fossils and to grow a collection. :) 
You do have some nice pieces for a beginning collection! :) 

I see that Adam was nice enough to ID some of your stuff from Morocco. :) 

Well the other things are: 

The fish are Knightia sp. found in the Green River Formation in Wyoming (Eocene,  50 - 48 mya)
The ammonite is probably an Aioloceras besairiei (previously known as Cleoniceras) found in the Mahajanga Province in Madagascar (Cretaceous, 110 mya)
The big shark tooth is from Carcharocles megalodon (although you probably already knew that) probably found in either Florida, North or South Carolina (Miocene, 15 - 5 mya)

• I found this Informative 4

Interested in all things paleontology, geology, zoology, evolution, natural history and science!
Professional exotic pet keeper, huge fantasy geek, explorer of the microfossil realm, member of the BVP (Belgian Association for Paleontology), Volunteer prepper at Oertijdmuseum Boxtel.  

View my collection topic here:

The Growing Collection of Ziggycardon
My animal collection at the "Members pet" topic

Ziggycardon's exploration of the microfossil realm

Trips to Eben Emael (Maastrichtian of Belgium)

My latest fossil hunt

Next project will be a dedicated prepping space.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

5d68d9f3c550a_153657011360380104(21).jpg.bda3d3b7ae7b8321dd0620a0c61cc459.jpg5d68da1b497f5_153657011360380104(20).jpg.8610ffc65ccaa5d057e7b52b65989cd0.jpg5d68da353dd03_153657011360380104(24).jpg.ae73afaefa6ab34e7af5f6131aed96ff.jpgsolnhofen.jpg.76dd03ba7eb39946850662021b7d8dd4.jpg166802558255587143.jpg.c38d91e9e45f17addf29c40166b797a2.jpg5d68da49ad887_153657011360380104(25).jpg.dfff987039b3c99f41e44da51f71ae91.jpg

• New Members
7 minutes ago, ziggycardon said:

Welcome to the forum! 
I am sure you will like it here, it is a great place to learn more about fossils and to grow a collection. :) 
You do have some nice pieces for a beginning collection! :) 

I see that Adam was nice enough to ID some of your stuff from Morocco. :) 

Well the other things are: 

The fish are Knightia sp. found in the Green River Formation in Wyoming (Eocene,  50 - 48 mya)
The ammonite is probably an Aioloceras besairiei (previously known as Cleoniceras) found in the Mahajanga Province in Madagascar (Cretaceous, 110 mya)
The big shark tooth is from Carcharocles megalodon (although you probably already knew that) probably found in either Florida, North or South Carolina (Miocene, 15 - 5 mya)

Thank you so much for being so kind to me!

It really makes me excited to start this hobby!

And thank you for giving a bit more info on my lil collection, I only knew a tad about them but that really helps expand my knowledge! 

Cheers mate! :tiphat:

You're welcome! :) 

If a can give you a tip. 
Try to make some ID-cards for with your fossils or a small word or excell sheet where you put all the info on your specimens. 
The location where fossils are found, age and scientific name are key information on fossils. 
When I started collecting fossils I didn't really keep track of all that then, and eventually when the collecting got more serious and I decided that I wanted to catalogue my collection I regretted not to write those things down earlier as it took a long time to gather all that information again. 

It can probably safe you a whole lot of trouble should you ever delve deeper in this hobby. :) 

• I found this Informative 2

Interested in all things paleontology, geology, zoology, evolution, natural history and science!
Professional exotic pet keeper, huge fantasy geek, explorer of the microfossil realm, member of the BVP (Belgian Association for Paleontology), Volunteer prepper at Oertijdmuseum Boxtel.  

View my collection topic here:

The Growing Collection of Ziggycardon
My animal collection at the "Members pet" topic

Ziggycardon's exploration of the microfossil realm

Trips to Eben Emael (Maastrichtian of Belgium)

My latest fossil hunt

Next project will be a dedicated prepping space.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

5d68d9f3c550a_153657011360380104(21).jpg.bda3d3b7ae7b8321dd0620a0c61cc459.jpg5d68da1b497f5_153657011360380104(20).jpg.8610ffc65ccaa5d057e7b52b65989cd0.jpg5d68da353dd03_153657011360380104(24).jpg.ae73afaefa6ab34e7af5f6131aed96ff.jpgsolnhofen.jpg.76dd03ba7eb39946850662021b7d8dd4.jpg166802558255587143.jpg.c38d91e9e45f17addf29c40166b797a2.jpg5d68da49ad887_153657011360380104(25).jpg.dfff987039b3c99f41e44da51f71ae91.jpg

• New Members
48 minutes ago, ziggycardon said:

You're welcome! :) 

If a can give you a tip. 
Try to make some ID-cards for with your fossils or a small word of excell sheet where you put all the info on your specimens. 
The location where fossils are found, age and scientific name are key information on fossils. 
When I started collecting fossils I didn't really keep track of all that then, and eventually when the collecting got more serious and I decided that I wanted to catalogue my collection I regretted not to write those things down earlier as it took a long time to gather all that information again. 

It can probably safe you a whole lot of trouble should you ever delve deeper in this hobby. :) 

Yay, thank you again for the tips and tricks!!! It is really helpful :) 

Hello and welcome to TFF from Austin Tx.

It looks like your collection is off to a good start.  @ziggycardon gave you some great advise on how to keep track of your collection.  Good information will greatly increase the value of a collection.

For picts of members fossils also visit the Gallery section of the forum.  Some really nice eye-candy there.

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

We all had to start off small, but it's those tiny steps that get you further in collecting. ;) 

Nice little collection, by the way. 

(You'll find we do not drag people here, for any reason.)  

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

7 hours ago, fossilturtle said:

collection

Your pictured fossils are apt example of widely collected, iconic fossils. They are "common," albeit, sought after and highly collectable. Collectors world wide are proud to display pieces like you have accumulated. If you are seeking a broad approach covering a swath of fossil types, your next acquisition might be a mammal bit (e.g. mammoth tusk fragment, horse tooth). Then some plant material would be a nice addition. Beautiful ferns may be acquired to add some truly ancient material. You already have a magnificent start, so obviously, you can move in whatever direction your interest takes you. However, do heed the excellent advice given above, document every possible aspect of your pieces. Including the proper ID, geological and collection information, greatly enhances a collection.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

There is nothing wrong with your small collection. You have some nice examples of iconic fossils. :) 

I’m not sure that I could pinpoint the coolest fossil that I have. Cool would be perspective based. What I think is cool, you may not, and many of my fossils are not particularly rare or cool.

My favorite fossil is probably this internal cast of a trilobite. It’s not a rare find, but it’s what helped to get me into fossil collecting as a serious hobby, so it holds a special place in my heart, and sits proudly in a place of honor in my display.

2CC0F097-F0D1-4E2E-8349-DF2898568AC4.thumb.jpeg.279e2dd6f67b68d47058a6953b4ac2e8.jpeg

I see that some of our other members have helped you with IDs and such already so I will finish by saying hello and welcome to TFF and the wonderful world of fossils. :D 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Hello and welcome to the forum from New York!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I was amazed how similar my first collection is to yours. (Just I didn't have any knightia at the time) Welcome from Colorado

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Welcome from Illinois, USA.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• New Members

Ahhh thank you everyone who has replied and given me such a warm welcome!!

I was so scared my lil collection would be judge yet you all have been so kind and helpful!

Not to mention the great tips I have already recieved! I am soooo happy to have joined such a welcoming community!!

Thank you all so much for your replies again, I am filled with so much luv <3 :raindance::wub:

I still would love to hear any tips and tricks you guys have so please feel free to continue to post on this thread!!! 

Hope you are all doing well and I wish you all a lovely day 

Happy fosslin'

• I found this Informative 2

17 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Your pictured fossils are apt example of widely collected, iconic fossils.

Indeed! These are classics!

And you have a really good hand, @fossilturtle. Everyone of these is real! Its so easy to run into fakes. Usually, if it is to good or to cheap to be true, its usually not true (=fake, replica, Frankenfossil, etc.). There are rare exceptions, but that area is generally a real minefield*.

We have occasionally seen beginner collections here on TFF, that consisted nearly completely of fakes etc. We don´t feel good to disappoint someone, but sometimes we have to do it :o. Not in your case, of course :Smiling:.

* That´s the major reason I only self collect, with very, very few exceptions (at the moment I am counting 4, and all are gifts/prices from TFF members).

Have fun and happy collecting!
Franz Bernhard

• 2 weeks later...
  • New Members
On 12/7/2020 at 5:49 PM, FranzBernhard said:

Indeed! These are classics!

And you have a really good hand, @fossilturtle. Everyone of these is real! Its so easy to run into fakes. Usually, if it is to good or to cheap to be true, its usually not true (=fake, replica, Frankenfossil, etc.). There are rare exceptions, but that area is generally a real minefield*.

We have occasionally seen beginner collections here on TFF, that consisted nearly completely of fakes etc. We don´t feel good to disappoint someone, but sometimes we have to do it :o. Not in your case, of course :Smiling:.

* That´s the major reason I only self collect, with very, very few exceptions (at the moment I am counting 4, and all are gifts/prices from TFF members).

Have fun and happy collecting!
Franz Bernhard

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! 

I am so glad my fossils are real and I believe it is better to hear the truth rather than believing something that is wrong! 

I love my little collection and I just bought another little annomite! I hope it is real too! I also have some other small pieces I found so feel free to comment if they're real or not hehe! 

5fdc64ac14c8b_fossilsfromvic.thumb.jpg.e84b6a51344145463d23edd782d73377.jpg

Thank you guys for helping me! 

Big ammonite looks good to me! But can not help any further with ID etc.

All the other fossils look also real, do you have any ID or locality info with them?

Franz Bernhard